Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lethargy What could be wrong?

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
I am worried about Princess. She just like plopped down in the cage and layed there. Diamond came and nudge her and she didn't even move. But after 5 mins she got up to eat a bit and drink and layed back down again.

What could be going on with her? Could she be depressed for some reason?

aemsva

Cavy Slave
I am thinking she is just exhausted lol She has to take care of the pups and what not right. So as long as she is getting up once in a while and eating/drinking then it's fine. If she we're a horse then I would be concerned, but my guinea slept about 90% of the day yesterday and she is up and about today. Just keep an eye on her and make sure she is eating drinking and producing poops/pee, nothing wrong with taking an extra nap or two ;)

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
Thanks. She wasn't sleeping. And she never acted like that before. Her babies are going to be 3 weeks old on Monday and she not once acted this way. That's why I'm so concerned.

Thanks for the advice though.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
I'd trust your instincts @mommmyof2 -- you know Princess better than anyone, just like your kids. Personally, when something seems "off" with my pigs I'd take them to the vet as soon as possible.

Do you have a weight chart for her? Has she lost any weight in the past day or two? I don't know much about post-natal sows or what sorts of infections or other ailments she could have. But you've had her long enough that I'd go with your gut instinct that something isn't right.

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
I'd trust your instincts @mommmyof2 -- you know Princess better than anyone, just like your kids. Personally, when something seems "off" with my pigs I'd take them to the vet as soon as possible.

Do you have a weight chart for her? Has she lost any weight in the past day or two? I don't know much about post-natal sows or what sorts of infections or other ailments she could have. But you've had her long enough that I'd go with your gut instinct that something isn't right.

She doesn't look like she has lost any weight at all. But if she continues to act different, i will be calling the vet tomorrow.

aemsva

Cavy Slave
Thanks. She wasn't sleeping. And she never acted like that before. Her babies are going to be 3 weeks old on Monday and she not once acted this way. That's why I'm so concerned.

Thanks for the advice though.

I just re-read my post and it might come off as cheeky, but I am totally not being such. I really am trying to ease your mind, especially since my piggy often acts the same as yours and is fine the next day...

General question, but is there any possibility she could be pregnant again? did you seperate the pups? Maybe try to encourage her with her favorite veggies and she if she perks up a bit :)

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
I just re-read my post and it might come off as cheeky, but I am totally not being such. I really am trying to ease your mind, especially since my piggy often acts the same as yours and is fine the next day...

General question, but is there any possibility she could be pregnant again? did you seperate the pups? Maybe try to encourage her with her favorite veggies and she if she perks up a bit :)

I know you weren't trying to sound "cheeky". I appreciate your help a lot. I don't know if I'm worrying over nothing or if something is wrong.

Her pups won't be 3 weeks old until monday. They were Born July 30th. So I don't think she is pregnant again.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
How is Princess doing this morning? Any perkier?

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
How is Princess doing this morning? Any perkier?

Yea she's better now. But she was acting really weird yesterday. Maybe she was tired and didn't want to be bothered or something.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
What was the temperature in your house yesterday?

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
What was the temperature in your house yesterday?

My apartment only has the thermostat in the dinning room area and the guinea pigs are in my room. My room was probably about 70 to 74 degrees. It's been that way all summer and she has never once acted like that. That's why I was so concerned, but she hasn't done it again since

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.