Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

What are signs of mating?

Poor little guy!!

If he's just going to be fed the Wild Harvest when he gets back home, i would just keep giving him that. Kaytee pellets are crappy too, and it's worse for him not to eat at all than to eat junk. (As for the pellets, i used to feed the pigs i had as a teenager those two brands mixed together. I didn't know they were bad, and even if I had, my mom would not have paid for more expensive pellets.) Now I use Oxbow.

CavyMama;933251 Females do sometimes mount other females as a dominance behavior[/QUOTE said:
This was my vision this morning when I woke up. Pudge 1 yo is been mounting our 8 week old Jet. Both females. They have been doing this all morning.

If he's just going to be fed the Wild Harvest when he gets back home, i would just keep giving him that. Kaytee pellets are crappy too, and it's worse for him not to eat at all than to eat junk. (As for the pellets, i used to feed the pigs i had as a teenager those two brands mixed together. I didn't know they were bad, and even if I had, my mom would not have paid for more expensive pellets.) Now I use Oxbow.
If he could adjust I was going to send home some of mine with his owner when he left. But I put him back on his kind and I'll let her do the switch if she wants to... Also I have been looking into KMS Hayloft pellets and I was wondering if anybody else had as high of shipping... I was going to order some but almost fell out of the chair when I read the shipping rates!!!

Make sure you choose the cheapest rate possible, then compare the total per pound cost of the KMS (product + shipping) vs whatever you are buying in the pet store (product). My guess is that they are nearly equal. For me, the KMS are only a dollar or 2 more per 10 lb bag. Considering how long the 10 lbs last (a LONG time with only 2 pigs), the convenience of not having to step foot in a pet store, and the way my pigs love them....well, the KMS pellets were a no-brainer for me. So please try to get past the cost of shipping and just compare on a $/pound total cost basis.

Update....I just took a look and the Oxbow is available on Amazon for ~ $2.1 per pound. The KMS timothy based pellets are about $3.2 per pound. So this is a bit of a difference and your KMS shipping may be cheaper or more expensive depending on where you live. Still, because the pellets last me such a long time (1/8th cup per pig per day goes a long way with a 10 lb bag!) the extra cost of the KMS pellets is literally pennies PER DAY. Oxbow is a fine pellet, but for literally pennies more per day, I'll go with the KMS to reduce the risk of stones.

Poor baby!! Honestly, it definitely doesn't sound like your friend put much thought into the care a guinea pig needs, which means it is not the pet for her. What has to happen is either your friend starts giving 'Betty' the care he absolutely must have, or he needs to be adopted by someone who will take the necessary care seriously. Betty is not living a very good lifestyle as of now it sounds like. They need veggies every single day for their Vitamin C, and proper pellets/hay, as well as a large space to popcorn and run laps in. At this point, because Betty is so used to his home lifestyle, it would be a challenge to change up his routine, if he even had an existing one originally. My point here is, for Betty to live as long as possible, he needs a healthy lifestyle, and someone to provide that for him as well as love on him. You're doing a great job taking care of Betty while he's staying there. But your friend must make a decision for the good of the poor piggy. Hope I wasn't too harsh. :)

Poor baby!! Honestly, it definitely doesn't sound like your friend put much thought into the care a guinea pig needs, which means it is not the pet for her. What has to happen is either your friend starts giving 'Betty' the care he absolutely must have, or he needs to be adopted by someone who will take the necessary care seriously. Betty is not living a very good lifestyle as of now it sounds like. They need veggies every single day for their Vitamin C, and proper pellets/hay, as well as a large space to popcorn and run laps in. At this point, because Betty is so used to his home lifestyle, it would be a challenge to change up his routine, if he even had an existing one originally. My point here is, for Betty to live as long as possible, he needs a healthy lifestyle, and someone to provide that for him as well as love on him. You're doing a great job taking care of Betty while he's staying there. But your friend must make a decision for the good of the poor piggy. Hope I wasn't too harsh. :)
I know exactly what your saying, She actually reminds me alot of how I was when I first got mine. Unexpeirenced. I am sending her home with a 5 page care sheet with tips, facts, and advice on guinea pigs! I hope she will try and start following them. She actually seemed pretty interested in how I used fleece and my cage when she came to drop Betty off so hopefully she'll try to do the same with hers! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.