Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Is it possible for four males to live together?

WheekedGoodPigs

Cavy Slave
We have a lone male guinea pig at my work (I work at an animal shelter) that seems to be depressed, doesn't move around his cage as much as he used to and all I ever seem him do is lay about.

Seeing as I have three boys that came in already a trio, I brought him home for some R&R and to see if he'll get along with one of my males. With the possible chance that one of my boys return back to work with him so they'll be adopted out as a pair. I'm still up on the fence on whether or not that would happen, and it all really depends on with the other pig, but I think in the long run he'd be happier with a playmate (my boys are 2 yrs, this one is 1 yr).

Thought, ideas? I feel like such a horrible person for even thinking about splitting up my trio, but I feel so bad for this lone piggie. :sad: Or is it possibility for four males to live together (I'm unsure if the lone pig has ever been with piggies before, he came in by himself).

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
If introductions are done right, yes it is possible. There are members on here that have 4 boys all together. I cant remember their names but Im sure they can help if they see this topic :)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I have four boars together, 2 that are 1 1/2 years old and two that are over 4 years old. The old guys are fixed, much more laid back from age. And the young guys fight for dominance, one feels a need to be boss when even one of the old guys won't give in to him. his brother is alpha and the other day while checking weights, teeth anal and nails, i found a few scabs on the pushy one. Nothing major, I don't even remember a fight that got out of hand but I not there 24/7. I refuse to separate them, the one will just keep getting his ass kicked until he gives in or huggle gives up being the boss, unless there is a major injury. They are brothers btw and it kind of reminds me of my sons when they were teens.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
The amount of room makes a big difference too. They were split for about 6 months from fighting in a 2x4 with a 2x3 l shape added on. Three grids wide is a major difference. I have two food areas, two hay box areas. Four hidies for them too. The cage size is a 3x6.

WheekedGoodPigs

Cavy Slave
One of my boys (Perry) and the foster (Pete) hit it off happy as clams! They're now doing a big of dominance shows in their cage, but it's over quickly. I've never seen Pete so active... I'm so happy I decided to see him and Perry hit it off. I'm pretty sure both will be going back to the shelter (don't worry, they will find an excellent home) as the remaining two seem to already be enjoying the extra room.

Mellissa Mae

Cavy Slave
I had a 3 week old male and a 6 month old male hit it off. By the end of the night they were literally cuddled up in their igloo. I suppose it all depends on the pig.

Mellissa Mae

Cavy Slave
One of my boys (Perry) and the foster (Pete) hit it off happy as clams! They're now doing a big of dominance shows in their cage, but it's over quickly. I've never seen Pete so active... I'm so happy I decided to see him and Perry hit it off. I'm pretty sure both will be going back to the shelter (don't worry, they will find an excellent home) as the remaining two seem to already be enjoying the extra room.

When we first got Nemo, he looked awfully bored. We introduced Eeyore and Nemo was in love. Since then Nemo and Eeyore are best pals.

By the way, I noticed it says you are from Maine. Good to see a fellow Mainah in here.

WheekedGoodPigs

Cavy Slave
I keep rushing over to their set up thinking they're fighting, but it's just Pete popcorning all over the place!! I'm so happy for this guy, and can't wait to find this pair a home as well as another pair of boys that are at our shelter (who I also fostered for a few days when they first came in).
@Mellissa Mae Why hello there!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.