Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Convincing Parents for Bigger Cage

KimAPerky

Cavy Slave
sorry guys for being so late with this but here is an update...

We have got the grids for the cage for building, all that is left is getting the coroplast..... A few plans has changed. My sister wants in on this gig, which I happily consented to, so we are going to try to bond our pigs so that they can share the one cage. We hope to bulid a 2by4 grids cage with a loft for hay and food and such. I have already switched my piggie to fleece and have enough fleece for the bigger cage but I think that it might just be easier for us to just use a soft small wood flake for bedding, my sister's pig needs a soft bottom for her feet and it is cheaper for us to get small wood flakes from Thiesians, which lasts longer for us, than using fleece. We'll see what happens. Though I was looking forward to making cuddle sacks for the piggies, which would work better on fleece bedding than wood.

So that's the update. I will let you guys know what more happens after it happens.

..... oh, on a side note, we have tried to switch the piggies from the Kaytee pellet foods to Oxbow and they don't like the Oxbow stuff. So we are currently looking to see about getting hay and pellets from KMS. My only worry with this is that because of how the pellets come in bulk I don't want to have the piggies not like it and then have all this food left over laying around, and having wasted that money.

Until we decide what to do, I am still mixing the Oxbow stuff with their Kaytee pellets. Is there anything else I can do that will get them to eat the Oxbow pellets until we find an alternative or so we don't have to find an alternative, because I have a 5lb bag of the pellets and I don't want to waste them? Any ideas?

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Kim,

Email KMS and explain that your pigs are picky and see if they would be willing to send you a sample of pellets and hay or as if they will sell you a small sample pack of each so you can see how they like it. I think they will like it though!

sorry guys for being so late with this but here is an update...

We have got the grids for the cage for building, all that is left is getting the coroplast..... A few plans has changed. My sister wants in on this gig, which I happily consented to, so we are going to try to bond our pigs so that they can share the one cage. We hope to bulid a 2by4 grids cage with a loft for hay and food and such. I have already switched my piggie to fleece and have enough fleece for the bigger cage but I think that it might just be easier for us to just use a soft small wood flake for bedding, my sister's pig needs a soft bottom for her feet and it is cheaper for us to get small wood flakes from Thiesians, which lasts longer for us, than using fleece. We'll see what happens. Though I was looking forward to making cuddle sacks for the piggies, which would work better on fleece bedding than wood.

So that's the update. I will let you guys know what more happens after it happens.

..... oh, on a side note, we have tried to switch the piggies from the Kaytee pellet foods to Oxbow and they don't like the Oxbow stuff. So we are currently looking to see about getting hay and pellets from KMS. My only worry with this is that because of how the pellets come in bulk I don't want to have the piggies not like it and then have all this food left over laying around, and having wasted that money.

Until we decide what to do, I am still mixing the Oxbow stuff with their Kaytee pellets. Is there anything else I can do that will get them to eat the Oxbow pellets until we find an alternative or so we don't have to find an alternative, because I have a 5lb bag of the pellets and I don't want to waste them? Any ideas?

KimAPerky

Cavy Slave
Kim,

Email KMS and explain that your pigs are picky and see if they would be willing to send you a sample of pellets and hay or as if they will sell you a small sample pack of each so you can see how they like it. I think they will like it though!

Ok. I will try that. I am just worried about the pellets. I am not worried about the hay part.

KimAPerky

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone, here is a update. So I have the grids and I can't get to them until Christmas since they are my Christmas present. I still have to get the choroplast, I just keep forgetting to call the place that has it. Also, fleece is not working for us. The fleece, not the towels, reek no matter how many times we wash them. So, we are switching to a soft small wood flake that should not bother their feet.

We are hoping to bond our piggies and it sounds like I am to take them to college with me next year since I will be able to take better care of them than my family. So, now I have to figure out how to configure that into my housing plans for next year, especially if I am going to live off campus.

I am going to try and switch their food to KMS if they like it. I am going to try and get that sampler.

That's the update, so please wish me luck.

KimAPerky

Cavy Slave
You may have better luck with fleece when your pigs are in a bigger cage. It doesn't work too well in smaller cages. But if you prefer wood shavings, there's no problem with aspen or kiln dried pine.

we get kiln dried pine from Theisan's

KimAPerky

Cavy Slave
Here is an update... I have the grids put together and ready. Sabic wouldnt sell me any sheets because they only sell to companies and I am having trouble finding affordable alternatives. What can I use other than coroplast?

KimAPerky

Cavy Slave
They wouldn't sell to you even when you mentioned it would be used for a guinea pig cage? I know sometimes the sign shops don't sell to individuals because they are afraid they're enabling competitors. I think you can use linoleum as a substitute though, or a shower curtain.

I didnt mention it was for a guinea pig cage. Should I call again and say that it is for the cage?

KimAPerky

Cavy Slave
From talking with my parents we are going to try and use linoleum from home depot. Seems like that option will work well for us.

KimAPerky

Cavy Slave
Hi. Well.. I got it all built and the piggies moved. The only thing to change is the ramp. Im going to attach carpet instead.

Attachments

uploadfromtaptalk1388625071339.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1388625112801.jpg

Piggyziggy

Cavy Slave
Your cage is awesome! I bet your piggies love it

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.