Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Peter Chirping...?

LilPiggies3

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I think Peter is chirping. Where I am, it's 00:41am (12:41am). A few minutes ago, I saw Peter nomming on an old, rotting carrot! :eek:
Then, I hear chirping noises, or what I think is chirping, just high-pitched screeches. Which is most likely chirping in my opinion. He may be wheeking, not too sure. I am not supposed to be recording, my mother is sleeping and snoring. The piggies are in the living room, their cage is on a table covered with hay or something. They have water AND lots of food, their floor is covered with hay. I am scared! What has happened to Peter? I'm pretty sure it's Peter, as I looked in the shadowy thing and he was the only one close to the outside.

Did you put the carrot in there? Discard it right away. He is probably hungry or exited. Maybe give him some veggies.

Did you put the carrot in there? Discard it right away. He is probably hungry or exited. Maybe give him some veggies.

I cannot. I put the carrot in there 2 days ago. I can't discard it aswell. Mother is sleeping. I can't go into the kitchen to give him veggies also, as it will make noise. It's midnight, and I don't want to disturb the neighbours. I'm a messy cooker...!

You should always discard veggies after a couple of hours after putting it in. Just give him a blueberry or something, that won't make noise. Where some slippers maybe.

You should always discard veggies after a couple of hours after putting it in. Just give him a blueberry or something, that won't make noise. Where some slippers maybe.

It is 9:32am. I discarded the carrots, and a smelly old apple. Thanks for the tips, but I don't have blueberries :( And the slippers make extra sound. We have silverfish and I'm scared of those coming on my feet if I go without slippers, so it's a no-no anyway ):

No, I'm 9
9 years old is certainly old enough to know how to properly take care of animals and know that rotten food is not okay. You must know it if you mentioned it, so I don't understand why you would not remove it.

You should be feeding fresh veggies every day. You should be feeding fresh greens and bell peppers. You should direct your parents to this site since you are so young. Your parents are responsible for ensuring your animals well-being.

No, I'm 9
9 years old is certainly old enough to know how to properly take care of animals and know that rotten food is not okay. You must know it if you mentioned it, so I don't understand why you would not remove it.

You should be feeding fresh veggies every day. You should be feeding fresh greens and bell peppers. You should direct your parents to this site since you are so young. Your parents are responsible for ensuring your animals well-being.

I DO feed them bell peppers and fresh greens. My parents say keep the vegetables in the cage if they would like some leftovers for later. It was midnight, almost becoming 1:00am in the morning, and I can't discard vegetables as it was nighttime and was supposed to be sleeping.
I know the rotten food is NOT okay, I just saw him eating it. The food was obviously stuck under the woodshavings/hay, so they were digging and found the carrot. I've only kept them for 3 days. Seriously, I'm not an pro. My parents said I AM responsible, as I PERSUADED them to buy the piggies and I PAID for it myself. If you don't take my forum seriously, I understand it. My parents LET me use the site btw. I have another forum in 'introduce yourself' area of this forums and you can clearly see I stated I'm 9 with permission from my parents to go into the site. Please research more before you question me, thanks! x

No, I'm 9

I DO feed them bell peppers and fresh greens. My parents say keep the vegetables in the cage if they would like some leftovers for later. It was midnight, almost becoming 1:00am in the morning, and I can't discard vegetables as it was nighttime and was supposed to be sleeping.
I know the rotten food is NOT okay, I just saw him eating it. The food was obviously stuck under the woodshavings/hay, so they were digging and found the carrot. I've only kept them for 3 days. Seriously, I'm not an pro. My parents said I AM responsible, as I PERSUADED them to buy the piggies and I PAID for it myself. If you don't take my forum seriously, I understand it. My parents LET me use the site btw. I have another forum in 'introduce yourself' area of this forums and you can clearly see I stated I'm 9 with permission from my parents to go into the site. Please research more before you question me, thanks! x

Hon, please understand that this site gets trolls sometimes and some of the members here are simply just wary of that. I can tell just by the way you type and write that you are very very smart for a 9 year old! We are just trying to help you out and give you sound advice based on our experiences and knowledge. Your parents clearly know you are responsible, but you need to make them see how responsible by putting your foot down (respectfully) and telling them what is best for your piggies. Vet bills for sick pigs are REALLY expensive and I don't think your parents would be excited about paying $200 to treat a sick piggy all because they told you to leave old veggies in their cage. We just want to help you out okay? :) I really hope your parents are a little bit more reasonable with you on the matter. You really seem like a responsible and intelligent person and I'm sure you can get them to understand in a calm and respectful way :)

Hon, please understand that this site gets trolls sometimes and some of the members here are simply just wary of that. I can tell just by the way you type and write that you are very very smart for a 9 year old! We are just trying to help you out and give you sound advice based on our experiences and knowledge. Your parents clearly know you are responsible, but you need to make them see how responsible by putting your foot down (respectfully) and telling them what is best for your piggies. Vet bills for sick pigs are REALLY expensive and I don't think your parents would be excited about paying $200 to treat a sick piggy all because they told you to leave old veggies in their cage. We just want to help you out okay? :) I really hope your parents are a little bit more reasonable with you on the matter. You really seem like a responsible and intelligent person and I'm sure you can get them to understand in a calm and respectful way :)

Yes but it was really offensive of them.

Back to the CHIRPING, which is how I came upon this thread... one of my two unaltered males who share a five grid wall in a C&C cage with an unaltered female started chirping in the dark last night, so loudly it felt like I had a cardinal in my room!

I turned on the light, which halted Jerome's vocalization, but after a very brief time he started it up again, and in between chirps he was trembling and mewling quietly, breathing quickly but without seeming laboured, as if he was excited or frightened ... did he have a nightmare?

I picked him up (after catching some a/v on my phone of the noise), and he quietened quickly and stopped trembling.

I gave him a thorough check for wounds, paying special attention to his feet; had he broken a nail because I've been too lax on trimming them? I even gave his belly gentle squeezes, and, of course checked his anal gland for signs of impaction. Still no clues.

Nervously, I put him back in with Rusty, who appeared oblivious throughout my ordeal, likewise Cocoa, who was dozing on her side of the grids, and the rest of the night was uneventful.

First thing in the morning I called the Vet's office, and was able to nab an 11:30am appointment. Meanwhile, I turned to the forum, and once again, can't say enough about how incredibly helpful it is!

Needless to say, I cancelled the appointment, Jerome's a "Chirper" !

Regarding the "piling on" to Peter's person, in an arguably unkind manner: I think it's time for some members to revisit the "Introduce Yourself" Discussion, where an important message is visible only to us seasoned users, here's an excerpt:

"... Yes, we do frown upon it, BUT, we need to give our new members a chance to explore the forum without being put into a defensive or offended frame of mind. So, LET IT GO. Back off. Encourage them in positive way, but don't dig for dirt. Do NOT ask them where they got their guinea pig(s) so that we can start to get them to see the light right away! You certainly don't need to encourage practices we don't support either, but let them get comfortable on the forum, first. Your support in making the forum a friendlier place to participate is GREATLY appreciated!"

I'm thinking back to the heated HEATED debate about Guinea Pigs In the Classroom. For the most part it was a healthy, respectful exchange of opinions, but some of the posts, I thought, crossed the line

I am sending a message to the admins asking their opinion about the best way to get the "Back Off the Newbies" message out again maybe as a refresher...

Last edited:
A 9 year old should not be on any kind of forum what so ever.

A 9 year old should not be on any kind of forum what so ever.
I disagree. My opinion is that many, if not most, parents monitor their kids' online activities, and know their own child's maturity, and intelligence levels.

I hope this doesn't come off as too naive, but I also think many forums, including ours, are not intended only for users who can demonstrate resilience.

Again, my trust is placed in the administrators & members of a forum, and the parents of a young person to ensure appropriate use; I know several 18 to 99 year olds who, IMO, should never "be on any kind of forum what so ever".

I doubt very seriously that the original poster is nine, but s/he's caged until I can figure it out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.