Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General To keep or not to keep?

LadyLazerStar

Cavy Slave
So long story short, I took in two piggies this weekend. They were absolutely terrified of people and I didn't think they would come around. At this point I'm in love, and it's becoming very clear they love me. I'm very torn as I feel I won't have enough time for them and my 8 rats. I would love to keep the piggies but would hate for them to be stuck in the same unfair situation I took them out of with no attention and minimal care. What are your guys opinions? How long eo you spend with your pigs per day?

LadyLazerStar

Cavy Slave
Oh and average cost per month? I need a better idea of the bigger picture. I just want these poor girls to be happy, they deserve it and I worry I can't provide what they need

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

dirah93

Cavy Slave
Honestly, guinea pigs would be much happier with the company of a fellow guinea pig(s) than humans. As long as you regularly clean their cage (spot cleaning fleece daily, then doing a full cage clean once a week will do, sometimes twice a week depending) and feed them their necessary foods (good quality hay, variety of veggies, and good quality pellets without seeds, grains, or colored bits) they will be fine.

Something else to keep in mind, if you rehome them, you can't guarantee the next people that adopts them will give them more attention, or treat them well.

As for cost per month, I buy fleece instead of paper bedding, so there's an initial cost and that's it. I buy a variety of veggies that cost an average of $10 a week. As for pellets, I purchase the 10lb. bag of timothy pellets from KMS Hayloft for $22.95 (includes shipping) and then freeze them so they're good for about 6 months. The hay I purchase is also from KMS Hayloft - I buy the 45 lb. box for $69.67 (includes shipping) and it lasts me a good 6 months for my two boars.

That's an average of $55.44 per month, or $665.28 per year, to give you an idea.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't worry too much about giving them enough attention, as they'll keep each other company. As long as you're interacting with them often enough to notice any signs of illness, they'll be fine. And I hate to say this, but piggies live much longer than rats, so within a year or two you'll have much more time for them, assuming your rats are varying ages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LadyLazerStar

Cavy Slave
Honestly, guinea pigs would be much happier with the company of a fellow guinea pig(s) than humans. As long as you regularly clean their cage (spot cleaning fleece daily, then doing a full cage clean once a week will do, sometimes twice a week depending) and feed them their necessary foods (good quality hay, variety of veggies, and good quality pellets without seeds, grains, or colored bits) they will be fine.

Something else to keep in mind, if you rehome them, you can't guarantee the next people that adopts them will give them more attention, or treat them well.

As for cost per month, I buy fleece instead of paper bedding, so there's an initial cost and that's it. I buy a variety of veggies that cost an average of $10 a week. As for pellets, I purchase the 10lb. bag of timothy pellets from KMS Hayloft for $22.95 (includes shipping) and then freeze them so they're good for about 6 months. The hay I purchase is also from KMS Hayloft - I buy the 45 lb. box for $69.67 (includes shipping) and it lasts me a good 6 months for my two boars.

That's an average of $55.44 per month, or $665.28 per year, to give you an idea.
Oh jeez, I'm glad I have virtually no rat expense anymore after buying in bulk. That's doable at least. Thank you for a realistic picture.:)

LadyLazerStar

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't worry too much about giving them enough attention, as they'll keep each other company. As long as you're interacting with them often enough to notice any signs of illness, they'll be fine. And I hate to say this, but piggies live much longer than rats, so within a year or two you'll have much more time for them, assuming your rats are varying ages.

Do they actively search out human company like my rats do? I just don't want them to feel ignored anymore after what they've been through

dirah93

Cavy Slave
Oh jeez, I'm glad I have virtually no rat expense anymore after buying in bulk. That's doable at least. Thank you for a realistic picture.:)

Not a problem! Glad I can help. One important cost I forgot to mention is the dreaded vet costs. You will want to have some extra savings stashed away somewhere in case of an emergency, for example if your pig becomes ill or poorly.

To give you an idea, I had to take one of my boars to the vet after he started limping. To have an x-ray done and get a prescription for metacam, my bill came up to $157!

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Do they actively search out human company like my rats do? I just don't want them to feel ignored anymore after what they've been through

No they don't they really would rather me left alone. But once you have them out they don't seem to mind.

LadyLazerStar

Cavy Slave
Not a problem! Glad I can help. One important cost I forgot to mention is the dreaded vet costs. You will want to have some extra savings stashed away somewhere in case of an emergency, for example if your pig becomes ill or poorly.

To give you an idea, I had to take one of my boars to the vet after he started limping. To have an x-ray done and get a prescription for metacam, my bill came up to $157!
Oh you lucky! I pay 150 JUST to have my rats seen 😭😭 so glad I got their health issues under control

dirah93

Cavy Slave
Oh you lucky! I pay 150 JUST to have my rats seen  so glad I got their health issues under control

Oh wow! Then I think you should be fine with the guinea pigs :)

jaycriae

Cavy Slave

It depends on the pig, but most don't. Being pet and held is something you can do with them, but they won't be upset if you don't do it. Some pigs who are especially affectionate may beg to be pet but for the most part they can take it or leave it. What they really beg for is veggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.