Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Finally carmie isn't a loner!!

chewyguineapig

Cavy Slave
I finally got Carmie a friend! I am so exited. I have been trying to convince my parents to let me get a second pig for almost a year but they were not letting me get one. I tried everything! Letters,power points ,talking about it ,and some posters too. Then finally today they let me get one!! I had pretty much given up at this point, but today is my birthday and we went to a town about 45 mins away to eat and go to this really cool pet store/ fish store. We were there yesterday too, because we thought it was going to snow today so we went then. This pet store had guinea pigs and there was this one big silkie that was beige and white with red eyes that I loved! I didn't ask for her at all. Then we came back the next day because they as a really big sale on fish tanks and I wanted to get a smaller tank to have in my room for a display tank. They didn't have the right size so we left went to eat and then to best buy. At best buy I remembered that my mom said this at the pet stor earlier "oh these are girls that would work with Carmie" so I asked her about it. I don't quite remember what she said but I know my sisters flipped out and started begging them to get a piggie. We left and in the car were able to convince them. So we went back to the pet store. We ended up not getting the red eyes one because some one just dropped her off and she wasn't for sale. So we got a baby Abby instead. I know pet stores are bad but this pet store is small and only breeds a small number of pigs. They breed then there and you can see the parents! Which is cool! Rescue is always better but I couldn't resist. I will put pics up tommorow :) oh and we named her iggy like "I'm so fancy" iggy. Because she has a Mohawk and it fits her well.

They breed then there and you can see the parents! Which is cool!

No, it's not cool. And you are crazy if you think it is. You've been here almost a year-you'd think you'd know better by now.

Some people buy their first pigs before they know any better and learn why pet stores are so awful. It's forgivable because they didn't know and any pigs they get after that are adopted. What is NOT okay is being here almost a year and for sure knowing better but buying anyway.

Rescue is always better but I couldn't resist

You are aware that rescue is always better. You know the reasons rescue is better but you got from a pet store anyway. You couldn't resist, eh? Some act of nature forced you to buy the pig. Good grief! If you couldn't resist, either stay out of the pet store or learn some self-control.

FoggyCreekCavy and CavyMama are both correct. We understand that you couldn't resist, but you have to think before you impulse buy something just because "you couldn't resist".

I'm not getting into the whole debate, so...

Congrats on your new piggy anyways! She sounds cute.

Congrats! I am glad she is going to a loving home.

I know I shouldn't have but I did and there is nothing we can do about it now. So there isn't a point in getting mad. Believe me it won't happen again. Thanks for the reply anyways! :)

That's okay, i forgive you. :) I too have seen cute piggies at the pet store but i have resisted.

Could you post a picture of the cutie?

Congrats on your new piggie. I not going to shame you either. Next time don't share where you got your new piggie. ;) You knew they would jump all over it.

I know I shouldn't have but I did and there is nothing we can do about it now. So there isn't a point in getting mad. Believe me it won't happen again. Thanks for the reply anyways! :)

Why would we be mad?

Just sad, because you bought instead of adopting. For every guinea pig bought at a store, a rescue pig loses a chance at a home.

It's not that they are "Mad", in fact they aren't. It's just there are many piggies who are in need of a home whom rescues really try hard to save and find homes for them. Pet store pigs are usually the result of irresponsible breeding(Thus mills). Most of them, if not, all.. come from breeding mills in which a new one will be replaced once a guinea pig is bought. Some have health issues as well but of course we all tend to want the best for the piggies regardless. I'm happy for you that you have a buddy for your other piggy but keep in mind that the community is trying to educate and have people understand that adoption from a rescue would be the better choice.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.