Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection URI but Baytril Gone Wrong! Already been to Vets Twice! New Memember!

Maria_143

Cavy Gazer
Hello Everyone, My name is Maria and I am a devoted piggy mom thanks to my first ever pig named Juliet. I have been wanting to become a member of this forum for a while because the posts here helped me navigate the waters of being a new piggy mom so incredibly well. When ever I was up worrying about Juliet at night, I would always find the posts and responses here comforting. Unfortunately, my Juliet passed away last week after her wonderful life with us. When we adopted Juliet, she had an array of health problems that we had under control for about 3 years, but it was unfortunately a stone that took her life.

And that brings me to here. After Juliet's passing, I was so incredibly heartbreaking and because I could no longer take the emptiness of the house, I went on the hunt to rescue another little life, and that's when I found my little Ginger who is 10-12 weeks of age. Upon bringing Ginger home, I could tell that she was such an active, excitable, curious little piggy. It was a week ago today that I brought her home and my have things changed. I had scheduled her first ever wellness check-up this past Wednesday with my normal piggy vet. She was so excited to see Ginger and said that she looked great, but that she was concerned about a little sneeze that she had let out in the office and said that we should treat early for a URI. Ginger was placed on .14ml of Baytril twice a day for 14 days. All was going well, the sneezing seemed to have gotten better and I felt relief until after Ginger had taken Baytril for 48 hours. She began to not want to take her Vitamin C tablet that she was horking down days before, and lost interest in her pellets. She was, however, eating a lot of hay and was still drinking water as she normally has done. Upon waking on Friday morning, I had noticed that Ginger was eating a lot of her poop. I know this is a normal and healthy process for piggies, but what concerned me was that she was eating them constantly. Still drinking water and eating hay. I thought that's strange, but just decided to watch her closely. Now yesterday morning is when everything began to worry me. Ginger did not have a single dropping on her fleece Saturday morning. I immediately called our vets and said that the Baytril was effecting her tummy terribly. Because I have been reading these forums for 3 years now, I was well aware that some piggies have NOT reacted well to it. The tech went and talked to the vet, who said to make sure Ginger was still eating her poop at the very least and had left a probiotic at the front desk for me to pick up.

I gave Ginger her first dose of probiotic yesterday at noon and by 2pm she was POOPING! I was so happy I almost cried. I continued the Baytril and the probiotic. Last night Ginger began to eat her pellets again on top of the hay and water... YAY! I thought, she's feeling better all around. However, last night I noticed Ginger was sneezing more...Uh Oh.... so back to the Vets I went today.

Before her vet appointment, Ginger has eaten a few pieces of the Vitamin C tab, her pellets (she is on alfalfa based since she is still so young), her hay (Oxbow Orchard Grass and Timothy), and drinking her water per usual. However, she began to do what she was doing on Friday and was eating her poop a LOT and when I say a lot, I mean every single one that came, she tucked under and grabbed. There was NO droppings on the cage floor as there was all day yesterday after the probiotic.

To sort of wrap my story up, I was sent home tonight with a new antibiotic, Bactrim and Cisapride. They are worried about Ginger having GI Stasis, which I know how dangerous it is for piggies. I have given her, her first dose of both and she had the probiotic as I am to continue with that as well BUT I feel really frustrated and uneasy because the vet that I saw today (my normal vet was out, but this one is piggy savvy as well), did not really answer my questions so any input here is GREATLY appreciated.

- If Ginger is eating so much poop, is this still characteristic of GI Stasis? I am so confused and I guess have lack of experience in this department because in my mind if she is able to pass the poop that she eats, doesn't that mean that things are still MOVING? Please correct me if I am wrong.

- I KNOW the Baytril caused this! Granted, I am aware that stasis can happen if there is an underlying condition but Ginger was FINE before beginning this antibiotic even with the little sneezing she was doing.

- I DID have her get a fluid injection as the vet suggested it to keep her hydrated. Since we have been home, Ginger HAS pooped, but not very much. She is eating her pellets, hay, and even ate the bit of romaine lettuce I offered her, which I am praying is a good sign. And she is drinking water as well. I have two bottles in the cage and she runs back and forth between the two.

I guess I just need some advice as to anything else I can do to make sure this little one recovers. After losing Juliet, I cannot bare to lose another over something that I feel was caused due to an antibiotic upset. So does Ginger have GI Stasis even though she is EATING loads of poop? Or does this NOT count because it is not waste poops? Has anyone else experienced anything like this after using Baytril? I have been massaging her tummy since yesterday and that does seem to help. Her belly is NOT bloated. In fact, the vet said that her abdomen feels normal because I asked if there was any bloat. I felt a little crazy in the office today because no one seems to think Ginger has an intolerance to Baytril at all, and after reading so many posts about it here, I cannot help but think why no one was really agreeing with me today. Techs and vet just said, "she may be sensitive, we give it to pigs all the time." And it's like great, I feel so much better now... NOT!

Anyways, I apologize for such a long post, but thought that some of you awesome members could share your experiences. I will try to keep everyone updated on Gingers condition. Since taking her NEW antibiotic she already seems to be sneezing less...maybe I am just sleep deprived though and am trying to be positive. Juliet had allergies (she was tested for them), so I am not THIS used to worrying about sneezing, and with Ginger being so young I am of course fearful of the worst, because she is such a loving little thing. So any input will help me LOADS.

Lots of Love and Hugs in advanced!
-Maria

First of all, if she's eating and pooping she doesn't have GI stasis. Stasis is when the gut stops moving, so nothing comes out.

Eating her poop has nothing to do with stasis. Guinea pigs that are not feeling well often eat all, or almost all, of their poop. It's a normal thing for them to do, and nothing to worry about it and of itself. If they're in the cage with another pig, they'll often eat the other pig's poop. If whatever is making them sick is getting worse, or not getting better, that's the issue to address, not the poop eating.

An intolerance to Baytril means that she would be very ill, and you'd be seeing frank diarrhea, lethargy, and other nasty symptoms. Baytril often causes inappetence (loss of appetite), but that's totally different from intolerance. Pigs on Baytril should get a probiotic about 1-2 hours after every dose of antibiotic, and the owner should be prepared to hand-feed them, forcibly if necessary, if they stop eating.

I don't see that there's anything unusual going on with your pig. If I had a pig on Baytril that was eating hay, pellets and veggies and didn't have to be hand-fed, I'd be ecstatic.

But what I would do is keep a very close eye on her. Weigh her daily, preferably in the morning before breakfast, to see if she's maintaining her weight. If she's losing, she's not getting enough to eat. If she's gaining during an illness, she may indeed have GI stasis. If you don't already have what you need to hand-feed her, get the stuff together and be ready to feed her.

See https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html for info on how to do it. A guinea pig that's eating nothing else needs 100+ cc. of Critical Care or a pellet slurry for every kilogram it weighs, every day, broken up into 6-8 feedings, around the clock. Adjust up or down according to the pig's weight, and also according to how much the pig is eating.

Just a suggestion... Your posts will be much easier to read if you don't use a bold font. And many people will see such a long post and consider it tl;dr (too long, don't read). When you're presenting a lot of symptom information, it helps the people who will try to help you if you will present it clearly, concisely, in order, and leave off the commentary. That way, we can pick out the most important stuff without have to sift it out of your reactions to the vet and/or techs, who talked to whom, etc.

First of all, if she's eating and pooping she doesn't have GI stasis. Stasis is when the gut stops moving, so nothing comes out.

Thank you bpatters! That was why I made this post. I know eating their poop is nothing to be concerned about and that is why I could not figure out why the vet today was totally convinced that she had stasis when she was still producing stool to eat. I want to thank you for your quick response and apologize for my rambling.

Without reading back, did she see an exotic vet?

Without reading back, did she see an exotic vet?
Yes she did. The animal hospital that my piggies go to is an Exotic Animal hospital and I've been going there for years. :)

If any members have given Bactrim as an antibiotic let me know how well your piggies have tolerated it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed Ginger tolerates this well.

I've had piggies on both and they seemed to tolerate each the same.with the bactrim I did notice symptoms cleared up a little faster with one of my piggies she had a uti.

Hi mdodge, thanks so much for sharing your experience. Ginger does have the beginning symptoms of a URI and I want to clear it out as quickly as possible, and it's good to know that the bactrim cleared up your piggy's symptoms faster. So that makes me hopeful. Ginger had her second dose of bactrim this morning and the Cisapride. Now I am just waiting to give her the probiotic. Sneezing doesn't seem as bad as it was so I am keeping my fingers crossed tightly this bactrim does the trick.

Just so you know, Bactrim is much more effective against gram-negative bacteria, which are the kind that infect the urinary tract, than against gram-positive ones, which affect the respiratory system. Gram-positive bacteria are more sensitive to Baytril. So you can't assume that one of those medicines is going to treat both conditions adequately.

So you are saying that the bactrim will not get rid of the upper respiratory then bpatters? Ginger doesn't have a uti. And because of the tummy upset that Baytril caused, the vet agreed that Ginger can't continue taking that.

That's right. It's not at all likely to take care of the URI. It is sometimes given to young pigs for a URI because Baytril can stunt their growth, but it's just not as effective as Baytril.

IMO, and I'm not a vet, doxycycline is a better option for a URI than bactrim.

I'm not sure I understand why the Baytril was stopped. Was it just because she started eating her poops again? Or did she stop eating altogether? Or develop diarrhea?

To clarify, the Baytril was greatly effecting Ginger's eating, but more importantly after days of being on Baytril twice a day the sneezing was not letting up at all. And she is a young pig, the shelter and my vet placed her at 10-12 weeks of age. So far today she is doing so much better than she was 24hrs ago. If of course, there is no improvement, I will be taking her back to the vets.

OK, but just so you know, Baytril almost always affects eating. It's a very rare pig that can take it without losing its appetite. You mainly get around that by giving a probiotic about an hour and a half after every dose, and by hand-feeding when necessary.

Okay gotcha! Thanks bpatters! I appreciate all of your informative input and responses. An update on Ginger: she ate the majority of her vitamin C tablet today and is producing more stool. Her eating is slowly getting back to normal... thankfully.

Okay so an update on Ginger! This morning, I woke up to a cage covered in very mushy poops. I've attached 2 pictures below. I believe that it is the Cisapride in her system after 3 days and possibly a little too much lettuce. I am not giving Ginger any more Cisapride as she clearly is not backed up, but am continuing her on the Bactrim and Probiotic as directed. Still eating and drinking with no problems. I have never had this problem before with any of the other pigs, which is why I am thinking the Cisapride is what caused this since it gets things moving. Any other input would be greatly appreciated. BTW those stain marks are not blood, but from me trying to pick up the poop because Ginger was stepping in it and was getting all messy.

Attachments

20160824_114131.jpg 20160824_115732.jpg
Okay so Ginger just did these, which seem to be more formed than the other ones I found in the cage this morning...

Attachments

20160824_121925.jpg
It may be the cisapride, and like you, I'd stop it. I'd also cut out all veggies until the soft poop clears up.

It may be the cisapride, and like you, I'd stop it. I'd also cut out all veggies until the soft poop clears up.

Yes, thank you bpatters. I actually just called up the vet as the poop has now turned completely mush. The actual vet is going to call me back as the tech is now thinking it is probably the Bactrim doing this.

Okay, so the vet called me back and now in addition to the Bactrim and Probiotic her vet is filling another antibiotic that starts with an "M". I cannot remember the whole name, but apparently they give this antibiotic to pigs when they are having diarrhea with antibiotics. :/ The reason her vet is not wanting me to stop this antibiotic completely is because she is worried that the bacteria will become resistant to treatment in the future. Does this sound correct? Anyone ever experience anything like this? Is this a normal protocol? I feel at such a loss right now.

Last edited:
I'd be very tempted to take her off the antibiotic altogether until her poop clears up. If it does, and she's still having URI symptoms, you could ask for nebulized antibiotic. That would pretty much avoid the gut, althrough a little is absorbed through the lungs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.