Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy is she pregnant?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Why are you separating her friend at night? And if you have to separate them, why aren't you moving the other pig?

xTayzx

Cavy Slave
I got told to seperate all other piggies from her? weve put a clear threw thing into their cage so they can still see eacother but cant get near eachother. sookie is the boss and gives Lunar a bit of a nip every now and then and so I thought best to seperate as much as possible? is this wrong? and yes the waiting game does suck, i work most nights so as soon as i get home i go straight to the cage to check.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Whats wrong with what you are doing is that you are separating them then putting them together again during the day. It is very stressful for guinea pigs to be put together then to be taken away from each other just to go though the whole thing again later. Each time they have to go though dominance determining.

You either keep them together or keep them separate.

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
I'm doing the same, although I have a couple of weeks to go. Good luck!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You don't need to separate them -- you're just stressing them out unnecessarily. Most guinea pigs make good nannies, and will help raise the pups.

xTayzx

Cavy Slave
ok i wont anymore :)

xTayzx

Cavy Slave
another update: going even crazier but i grabbed some pictures when i moved her to the other cage before. poor girl i hate picking her up atm it must be uncomfortable but i try and support her as well as possible and set her down gently. she's getting fatter i swear. How many do you guys think shes gonna have? Time to take bets, how many and when :D I bet 3 and um today? because i want it to happen today XD haha
is she pregnant?

is she pregnant?

poor girl her legs so sideways now like they just kinda slide out from underneath her which really worries me :/

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
She is just like that because of how fat she is. But you really need to stop picking her up all the time. Don't pick her up unless you need to change the cage. Handle her as little as possible.

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
I agree with @Colorado Cavies. Dont pick her up or hold unless you have too. Theres a possibility it can harm the babies.

I think she's having 3 to 4 babies and due within the next week. Good luck and hope she has a smooth and safe delivery. Post pigtures of the pups when they are born. We all love to see baby pigtures lol

xTayzx

Cavy Slave
we only handle her to swap cages or clean them, so no more then three times a day. ahhh nothing yet :( feeling kinda worried now

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You're still swapping cages? I don't think you should be holding her daily.

xTayzx

Cavy Slave
We have two hutches. during the day the piggies go onto the veranda in the big 2 story hutch. its currently only the top story open so that if she were to give birth theres no way babies could fall down stairs or anything. In the afternoon we bring them into the old hutch and they sleep in there.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Are your pigs living outside?

xTayzx

Cavy Slave
only day time on the patio.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Are you watching them when they're on the patio?

xTayzx

Cavy Slave
no, if we put them on the grass they are watched but the hutch on the patio is pretty big and would take a lot to get into. also we have the corners drapped with blankets so that its half dark half light, if that makes sense?

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If I were you, I would bring them in to the inside cage and leave them there until these babies are born. Momma pig is being picked up way to much, (3 times a day is too much) and the constant move to and from cages could be very stressful for her. Her cagemate can stay with her. Seperating them at this point could and probably is stressing both pigs.

pinky

Cavy Slave
After the pups are born, I'd have a permanent cage inside the house where they are kept all the time. It must be really hard on them to be moved around like that all the time, pregnant or not. Why risk their safety putting them outdoors like that? I'd only take them outdoors when you are there with them.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Three times a day is WAY too much! And I really don't recommend taking them outside at all! Just leave her in peace in the inside hutch! All the moving is most likely seriously stressing her out and could cause major harm to her or the babies. Not to mention all the things that could go wrong with them being kept outside all day. :/

xTayzx

Cavy Slave
So guys I came home today to find two new piggies in the cage. Was suprised to only see 2 but still so shocked that they finally came <3 Mum seems fine we checked her over and nothings coming out of her... but we will keep an eye on her. Babies seems to be good, they are soo beautiful but wow, one looks exactly like mum the other is a whiteish greyish colour im assuming like the dad? We had a look at the babies .... and couldnt feel anything pop out so fingers crossed they arent males(it could be wishful thinking) but we will check again soon until we know for sure or get someone experienced in. The best 8 dollars I've ever spent <3
is she pregnant?

is she pregnant?

is she pregnant?

is she pregnant?

is she pregnant?

is she pregnant?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.