Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Another Female Piggy

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I currently have only one female pig, since my male died a few months ago. I am hopefully going to soon switch to fleece(I am using shredded paper right now). I had a great idea in using my two cage tops as grids instead of buying grids. The demensions would be 5 ft by 1.5 ft. It's really up to my parents at this point, I told them to contact these two ladies that have lots of female piggies and use fleece, so I am waiting for them to respond. I have already bought a large shower curtain instead of choroplast(it with fold up 4inches on each side so no pee escapes onto the floor). I have writen up 3 different documents on having another female piggy, but the answer is still no. One reason is because they say I don't have enough money(I want to start selling some pictures on a wesite, but my dad never has time, I also like to petsit and get $5 each week from chores). Another reason is they think Coco doesn't want another friend. I tried to explain, but my dad just says "Coco and Chester were never in the same cage anyway." I replied "Well they did talk to each other and I let them visit each other sometimes." They loved to snuggle and sniff each other. I just wish my parents unstood better... do you have any suggestions on what to do? How do I convince them?? I need help! I want Coco to be happy. The two ladies got their guinea pigs from a lady that owned a small shelter, so I want to get one from her. Please help! Thank you!!

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
Its irritateing when people don't understand...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's not really large enough for two pigs.

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
It probably isn't a good idea to get another guinea Pig since you don't seem to have money to take care of them on your own. Will your parents pay a few hundred dollars in case your guinea Pig(s) get sick and need to go to the vet? Maybe start finding ways to earn and save some money so you can get your pig a friend in the future.

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
@bpatters, the cage page on this site said a 56 by 28 in cage is the minimum, and my cage is about that size, but slightly bigger. I can't find good grids around here, and my idea is the next best thing. I will start selling pictures, I have some extra pictures to make card stock out of. Maybe I can ask people if I can do house cleaning for them, LOL. I might even bake some cakes or pastries, I love baking. :) Thank you for replying everyone!
~PiggieLove13 <3

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
You can start by showing them this youtube video-Title: Tips for new guinea pig ownersYoutuber: Little AdventuresIn the beginning of the video, the youtuber talks about the importance of having more than 1 guinea pig. I showed my parents this, and they seemed to understand a bit more. A way to get money, you could sell some old clothes or other stuff that you don't need or want anymore. You could mow lawns. Walk dogs. Baby sit. You could even ask your parents to give u money for good grades. For example, I get 3 dollars for every A I get on my report card. Since I'm a pretty good student, I earn enough money to support both of my piggies. Do you have to pay for your pet's food? Or do your parents pay? If u don't have to pay for food, then of course it will be a lot easier for u to earn money to buy a gp. Gp's range from 25-45 dollars at a pet store. If your parents still won't let u, then ask them to pay for it, and say that u will try to be on ur best behaviour. Do more chores than asked. Maybe even say 'yes sir' or 'yes ma'am' to ur parents. lol :]. As for the cage, this website has info on materials and how big it should be. Good luck :]

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
Sorry I haven't replied for a long time. UPDATES: I am now using fleece, and am going to expand Coco's cage very soon. I have a ton of saved money. My parents still aren't convinced though. The answer right now is DEFINATELY no. I've had two friends tell my parents that I should and need(for the most part) another guinea pig. What do I do? I'll try and type another document and show them more info I found. Maybe theyll see that I have money saved. But they think it's expensive....thanks for the help btw! -PiggieLove13
PS My friend brought her two female pigs over and Coco had lots of fun with them. They did show dominance, but after that, they played and snuggled together. I really want her to be happy!

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
I have to pay for everything and they WILL NEVERTHELESS give me money for grades or buy me a pig. It's super hard to just convince them to let me buy one with MY money!

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
NEVER* not NEVERTHELESS

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Ohh :( I'm sorry to hear that. Did you show them the video though? That could help. One thing i don't understand is why are they saying no if they don't have to spend a single penny!? Maybe you should ask them why. Tell them that without a friend, Coco may become depressed and stop eating. Tell your parents that guinea pigs are herd animals and therefore they need another guinea pig for security. I know how it feels to have parents who don't care about an animal's happiness. Hopefully, your parents will open their hearts and agree to getting a second. I wish the best of luck for you.

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
I will show them the video, but I doubt it will do much... I have told them all of that!! They just keep saying "It'll stink more and you won't have enough money. Coco is happy enough and they might not get along.". They will need time to establish dominance, and I am fully prepared for fighting and separation. She usually sleeps the day away or eats to keep busy. I take her outside and play with her in my room, but she used to be so happy with Chester. If my sister and I had been smarter we would have kept the two females not a male and female. I loved Chester; sometimes I have dreams where he comes back to life and I get to cuddle him. In one dream I went to the basement and his cage was set up as if he was still there. I heard the noise of his feet and heard him drinking from his water bottle. My parents are "thinking about it". I'll keep updating on what they say.

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
Here is a picture of Coco(the short haired) and Chester(the Abyssinian). Another pic is of Coco(dark brown) and Cinnamon(tan). :love:

Attachments

IMG_0659.jpg P1040692.jpg P1040679.jpg

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
Oh wait they are "thinking about" letting me expand Coco's cage. From there, I will have a big enough cage for two pigs, and I will try to convince them to let be get a friend for Coco. Right now Coco is in her Pigloo sleeping..:(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.