Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Advice on carry cage

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Hope this is the right place for this. I and my family are going on a 8 hour trip and we need to take are piggies with us. We had a sitter but last minute she cancelled on me. I have these two cage options and I need to know which is best. Their is also a hidey that I will place inside the bigger one if it works.
The bigger one has holes drilled into it so we could zip tie the grids to it for safty. Their 2 by 5 c&c cage will be broken down and put together when we reach our destination.
Advice on carry cage

Last edited:

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
Both look good to me. My pigs have gone 3+ hours in pet carriers like the one on the left, but they had to each be in a separate one because stress and confined spaces make them fight (yours might be fine together, I don't know them). One suggestion I have is to take the water bottle out. They leak like crazy in a moving vehicle. Offer water or wet vegetables to your pigs at rest stops.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @LifeAsItMayBe. Mine do fine in a small carrier, but if this is the first time you've taken them anywhere, I'd either take two or take the larger one. Do ditch the water bottle, or else they'll swim the whole way.

Be sure to strap the carrier in with a seat belt -- it'll be a missile if someone rear-ends you.

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Both look good to me. My pigs have gone 3+ hours in pet carriers like the one on the left, but they had to each be in a separate one because stress and confined spaces make them fight (yours might be fine together, I don't know them). One suggestion I have is to take the water bottle out. They leak like crazy in a moving vehicle. Offer water or wet vegetables to your pigs at rest stops.
My boys seem fine together when we take them to the vet ( it takes about 45 minutes to and hour). Jack likes to be in his cozy the whole way but Grimm likes to be out and moving. That's the biggest reason I wanted to use the bigger one.

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Clever homemade carrier! lol It looks like some of the carriers my kids have ridden in. One thing to consider is that you don't want the carrier sliding around in the vehicle, so figure out a way to strap it into a seat. I have a very small carrier for vet trips and it gets strapped into the front passenger seat so that they can see/smell/hear me on the trip.

The number of cavies is an important piece of information when considering size. Have you previously traveled with them? My kids have been on several car trips, but none in excess of about 3.5 hours. Don't worry about providing lots of space for them in the car because they won't utilize it. They will probably huddle together most of the trip and will neither eat nor drink much.

I like to stop every couple of hours for both the piggies and me. At that time I offer them both water and veggies. If they are active, make a folding pen for them that you can set up in an instant with a fleece pad and/or shower curtain so that they can get some exercise. However, if they are like mine, they won't utilize the space and will just freeze when in new surroundings. :rolleyes:

I doubt that the type and size of carrier matters very much so long as there is room for them to stretch out comfortably. And DO include a favorite cozy that smells familiar for each of them.....that seems to make everything all right.
Thank you. I will make sure I can strap them in before going with the bigger one. Grimm is super active and doesn't seem to notice that he's in the car. I use the big carrier for when I clean out the cage so it may just be their used to it. I will have two cozies for them to cuddle in as well.

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Ditto @LifeAsItMayBe. Mine do fine in a small carrier, but if this is the first time you've taken them anywhere, I'd either take two or take the larger one. Do ditch the water bottle, or else they'll swim the whole way.

Be sure to strap the carrier in with a seat belt -- it'll be a missile if someone rear-ends you.
Thank you I'll make sure to strap them in. Defiantly don't want piggy missiles in the car! And I'll take the water bottle out too. We have a cooler we're taking and it will have a baggy of veggies for them.

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
Both look awesome! I would also recommend bringing both the carriers just in case your piggies start squabbling. Not that they will! But it's good to be safe :)
I really like your homemade one! Gives me a better idea of how to turn my laundry basket I have for my pigs into a huge carrier for the 3 of them :D

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Both look awesome! I would also recommend bringing both the carriers just in case your piggies start squabbling. Not that they will! But it's good to be safe :)
I really like your homemade one! Gives me a better idea of how to turn my laundry basket I have for my pigs into a huge carrier for the 3 of them :D
Thanks I will take them both and I'm glad I inspired you

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.