Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Anyone have experience with sprains?

puddin18

Cavy Slave
I am sorry to repeat myself but no one replied to my other posts and I am really hoping to find someone who has had experience with sprains with their guinea pig/s. Mine had an xray and no broken bones or fractures were found and I still have no idea how she got hurt because she was never dropped and she does not have things to jump on in her cage but her leg (the vet said it's near her carpal area, sort of like our wrists) has been swollen for almost a month now. The metacam helped with the pain. She started putting pressure on it more, but the swelling never really went down at all. She goes for a follow up in two days but I just wondered if anyone knows how long a sprain takes to get better. It has been almost a month now, if not longer, because I am not exactly sure when she hurt it, but she went to the vet for the xrays about seven days after she started favoring it.

She is eating fine, but not drinking much at all if any from her water bottle.. I have been giving her water in a syringe. I guess she is getting some in her veggies, though. The water bottle is fine, it comes out like normal. She comes out of her hidey pouch to eat and munch on hay, but other than that she is more comfortable and spends a lot of time, since her injury, in her pouch. I have to clean it out often since she just defecates in it. Besides the leg and not drinking much she seems fine. I do worry she spends too much time in her pouch, but as I said, with her leg I think it just feels better to her. She puts a little pressure on it sometimes, but usually still hops on three legs. I think she also likes her pouch because it keeps her upright when she lays down. Her back legs end up sticking out since her front leg is messed up if she lays down anywhere else. She is stable as far her her health, but I wish she could get back to her old self even if it means keeping me up all night.

Thanks everyone.

I don't know If I can be of much help, But one of my girls hurt one of their paws before. I had a upper level then so I kept her up there so it could heal(I then took the upper level down peramitly(sp?)). It was a 1x3 petstore cage on the upper level. But Some used a 2x2 for limited space for injured piggies. I had a cozy for her to rest on, And, water,hay, pellets a good distance for her to walk to get it. And I would check her walking about 2-3 times a week to see how she did. After 2-3 weeks of being by herself I introduced them all again, And she's been fine ever since. And once again I don't know if its much help.

Hope this helps... I had a pig with a broken ankle. She had a little cast for 2 weeks, but her movement had to be restricted for almost 8 weeks. I had her in a pet store cage, graduated to a 2x2, and she could not romp around with her buddies. As she started to get better, I did things like @MummyOf5Piggies mentioned above... put food at opposite end of the cage, gave her floor time alone with limited space. At the end of it all, I had to introduce my herd again (I was so afraid 8 weeks separated would change that) and all was fine.

Throughout all her recovery, she spent most of her time hiding. Later, when she started to feel better, the little stinker would drag her pellet bowl into her hidey. But at the very beginning, when she was in pain, she drank little. I had to wet her veggies and had feed them to be sure she was getting some.

But with you, still seeing visible swelling after over a month seems bothersome. My first thought is that there might have been a small break that the Dr missed and the swelling is a calcium deposit forming? And so long without drinking regularly, I think she might still be in pain?

Last edited:
Is she still on the metacam? I'm not 100% sure when we stopped medicating my pig, but it was definitely 1 month or more.

I can't be of help exactly but from a human perspective I sprained my foot 2 years ago, it took around 16 weeks to go back to normal and even now can still be uncomfortable. A sprain takes longer to heal than a break.

If it still swollen I would ask for a follow up x-ray, after 4 weeks calcium build up from bone damage might be be visible if it is there.

Good luck with her :)

Thanks everyone. I had her in a smaller pet store cage for about three weeks, because she also was very sick before the foot thing happened. It happened when she was sick. She stopped eating all together and went and got antibiotics and then started feeling well again from that. Then the foot thing happened so she went back for an xray. She is back in her c and c now and that seemed to maker her happier. I have everything (her hay rack and water bottle) on one side though so she doesn't have to travel to the other side of the cage. It is all one level.

I will definitely ask about the calcium deposits when she goes back this week. He is an exotic vet and does know about guinea pigs. He says everything you read on here and online. He only had me give her the metacam for about a week. I think he was worried about it messing her GI system up. I might give her some more for the next couple of days since it didn't. I gave her a little pro biotic with it when she was taking it.

@madrae Even before this all happened she would be lazy and pull her dish up to the door of her igloo and eat her pellets like that. It's funny.
@Iklepink I have never sprained anything, but I have fractured my elbow and that took a while to get better, but definitely not as long as your sprain. I think you are right, though and they take longer to heal. My dad was telling me they can take a long time to get back to as normal as they will.

@spy9doc I think splinting it might be the step the vet takes next. He may take another x-ray again too. We did leave her for about an hour to get the last x-ray. He said he found nothing, but as you said it is possible it was so small it was too hard to see. I am a student and do not have a job right now so I am a little stressed about the bill, but I will manage somehow. They do not take payments, but I understand why they don't.

I am going to go giver her another dose of meta-cam with her lunch.

I was also wondering if anyone knows how much water I should give her in the syringe since she's not drinking out of the bottle. I have been giving her a couple of ccs a night along with what water I put on her veggies. She does seem thirsty when she gets it out of the syringe, but I also think she just likes the syringe. I know some drink more than others and I don't want to water log her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.