Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Why do piggies use the bathroom in their fleece tents?

sisymay

Cavy Slave
Hi, we have 2 male piggies that are 2.5 yrs old. Over time we found out that they like sleeping separately. Right now we have put up separate fleece tents, that are attached to the cage on top and bottom, and they go into from the sides. Both of them use the bathroom in them all the time, even though we do have a specific spot for that. They have always used the specific spot, but since we got the fleece tents, they do it there instead. And, they still stay and sleep in them. I am trying to remember what we had for them to sleep in before we got the fleece, and maybe go back to that? I just can't remember what it was LOL. Any suggestions? In the past I made something like a cozy cup, but long enough for them to fit in comfortably. They wouldn't get into them. I am hoping for inexpensive solutions if possible. Thank you!!

They potty where they want to potty. If you happen to choose a space for them that they've already chosen, you can catch a lot of the output. But if the place you choose isn't the one they choose, guess which of you is out of luck?

they poop where they sleep. that's how I always know where mine spend their nights!

I guess I need to clarify. They have been sleeping in the same spot the whole time we have had them. The place where they usually use the bathroom is not near where they sleep in the tents. They did not use the bathroom where they sleep until we started using the fleece.

they poop where they sleep. that's how I always know where mine spend their nights!

My sows do too! I get nervous if their beds are empty. Lots of poop = healthy piggies. Cuddle cups full of poop give me peace of mind. :)
It's also easier to dump out their beds than it is to sweep the fleece.

I guess I need to clarify. They have been sleeping in the same spot the whole time we have had them. The place where they usually use the bathroom is not near where they sleep in the tents. They did not use the bathroom where they sleep until we started using the fleece.

we should get more specific here...are you talking poop or pee?

Mine do show a preference to primarily pee in a few specific spots in the cage, but they poop everywhere. Particularly where they sleep. Are you saying that yours don't poop where they sleep?

Also - it's good to change up the layout of your cage often to keep the piggies stimulated. Mine LOVE checking out a new cage. Obviously the frame of the cage stays the same, but I do move around where I put their food, their hideys, their hay. And I rotate through a few different sets of "furniture" for them. Sometimes I use soft hideys, othertimes I use tunnels. They already seem to know what's up when I'm cleaning the cage and they love investigating and checking things out!

By doing this, I find that where they poop and pee changes as I change the layout of the cage. The poop is where they sleep and eat, and the big pee spots are primarily where they eat (and to a lesser extent in other areas of the cage).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.