Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Bringing the Guinea pigs closer

lwpiggy

Cavy Slave
We have made the decision to moveour 2 piggies closer together. I partitioned the cage so they would be separated and there is a small length of the cage, about 18 inches, where they can actually see each other, touch noses but not bite as the holes in the cage wall is just too small.

At first there was nothing, this last about 30 minutes. Then all squeaky broke loose as they tried to get at each other. This went on for about an hour. lots of jumping, running around and loud squeaks. This eventually calmed down. Sleep areas were then covered and I went to bed. This morning I did my usual cage sweep, their bowls were refilled and I removed the blanket from the sleep area so I can watch them during the day. They both still have their hideouts which they use most of the time.

The intention is to keep this partitioned cage setup for a few days, maybe a week, and observe their behaviour to check they don't get very aggressive towards each other. If there is no aggressive behaviour then the plan is a full introduction out of the cage and hopefully they will bond.

This probably not the method used by everyone when introducing guinea pigs to each other, but we have limited space and have to make the best of what we can do in that space.

Any further advice or tips are appreciated.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
You're not going to be able to tell if they will be aggressive until you actually put them on neutral ground together. Theres really no need to put them near eachother. Just take a day to plop them on neutral ground together for intros and see how they do. Give lots of veggies and hay to help, but otherwise dont touch them unless they break out into rolling balls of biting fur. Do not separate them unless that happens. Many people make the mistake of separating and putting back together, but thats stressful on the pigs as each time they are put together again youre basically starting from scratch.

Are they males or females?

lwpiggy

Cavy Slave
They are both young males. They seems to have quietened down now. The squeaking and running around in each others presence seems to have subsided. As you pointed out then next step is introductions but we need a spare day for this. One person will watch the piggies while I clean the cage. I intend to leave the partition until we are sure the introduction went well, the partition is only 3 pieces so will only take a minute to remove.

I've been watching the piggies today and the newer smaller pig (Leonard) is standing in his kitchen area, sometimes on his hind quarters looking at the plastic wall divider to the other kitchen. He can't see into the other kitchen but he just sits there and sniffs.

lwpiggy

Cavy Slave
The introductions will be done out of the cage. I will do a thorough cage clean while the introductions are taking place.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
The introductions will be done out of the cage. I will do a thorough cage clean while the introductions are taking place.
Make sure to give them plenty of time for intros. Dont put them back in the cage until they are tired out. How big is your cage?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cage size is very important in how well pigs get along. Boars need more space than sows. What size cage are you planning to put them in?

lwpiggy

Cavy Slave
Due to limited space we have a 3x2 cage and I will build a second level as well. I realise that this isn't ideal so need to think of how we can increase our space to accommodate a larger cage. My worry is that there will be problems with a 3x2 cage even with an upper level and I am prepared for any issues that may arise. If the pigs have to be separated then so be it, but I want to avoid that unless there is no other option.

As mentioned previously both pigs are in this 3x2 area which is partitioned. It's certainly not ideal but will have to do for a few more days. I am always looking and reading guinea pig articles for ideas.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A 3x2 with a loft is not a suitable cage for boars, even with a second level. One of them will be in the other's face every time they try to eat hay or go up and down the ramp. A divided 3x2 is even less suitable for single pigs.

Take a look at the cages in the Photo galleries (tab at the top of the page). There are jillions of ways configure guinea pig cages for small spaces.

Tobias2189

Cavy Slave
Please don't leave them alone during introductions to clean the cage. Put them somewhere separated while cleaning the cage and then do intros. You need to be there the entire time and ready to act the moment a fight begins to take place. Give them plenty of hay at the center of the place introductions will take place. But do not leave them alone even for a moment. Don't interact with them in any way, let them handle everything. The only time you do anything is when you need to stop them from damaging each other.

lwpiggy

Cavy Slave
@bpatters: I am looking through all those photos. There are a lot but I'm over halfway through.
@Tobias2189: There will be 2 of us here when we do introductions. Most of the time we will both be watching but at some point I will be doing the cage while OH watches the piggies. They will not be left alone at all

lwpiggy

Cavy Slave
They introductions are taking place. Using a neutral area both piggies were put there at the same time with some hay in the middle and water bottles at each end. They had a minute or so looking around at the new environment then a couple of hours chasing, sniffing and mounting but no aggression. It's been about 3 hours now and they seem very chummy. Sharing food, they have also now been fed with veggies now to make sure one pig doesn't dominate the food supply, and they lay next to each other and seem to be settled. This was a lot easier than I was expecting, I hope I haven't spoken too soon. The cage is being cleaned and reconfigured ready for there rehousing later, if nothing changes in the meantime. Overall, I'm very happy and relieved that this has gone so well.

Capricex

Cavy Slave
They introductions are taking place. Using a neutral area both piggies were put there at the same time with some hay in the middle and water bottles at each end. They had a minute or so looking around at the new environment then a couple of hours chasing, sniffing and mounting but no aggression. It's been about 3 hours now and they seem very chummy. Sharing food, they have also now been fed with veggies now to make sure one pig doesn't dominate the food supply, and they lay next to each other and seem to be settled. This was a lot easier than I was expecting, I hope I haven't spoken too soon. The cage is being cleaned and reconfigured ready for there rehousing later, if nothing changes in the meantime. Overall, I'm very happy and relieved that this has gone so well.

This might be an interesting experiment again for someone else to try by putting cages together a bit before hand so pigs get a sense of each other and then intros. I wonder if the success rate might improve.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Plenty of people have tried that, @Capricex. It doesn't work often enough to say that it helps. I still think it's all down to the personality of the pigs.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
This might be an interesting experiment again for someone else to try by putting cages together a bit before hand so pigs get a sense of each other and then intros. I wonder if the success rate might improve.

Its works with rats not so much with guinea pigs

lwpiggy

Cavy Slave
We must have just got lucky. While they were in separate cages next to each other they showed no signs of aggression. There was some jumping and running but that was it. It is certainly worth a try.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.