Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Separated pig chewing cage bars?

ESwemba

Cavy Slave
So, after a fight between my two boys which drew blood, I separated my 2x5 cage with grids in the middle, giving each a 2x2.5 space, which I totally understand is a bit too small but it's what I have for now. Everything has been awesome after I put the divider in. They both seem happier and less stressed, and they can still socialize (they like eating hay together) without killing each other. Except one of them (the dominant one when they were together) has started chewing forcefully on the bars of the divider, like he's trying to get to the other pig. The other pig could care less about his former cagemate. So my question is, is he doing this because he misses his buddy, or is he still trying to be dominant, and what can I do?

They both get about 2 hours of floor time a day.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
He's doing it because he's desperately trying to get to the other pig, and perhaps out of boredom.
You do need to cover the bars somehow, as bar chewing can break their teeth.

ButtersandMimsy

Cavy Slave
I went through the same thing with my piggies. I had to separate them and then re-introduce them for a small amount of time each day for about two weeks, and they were kept in different cages throughout the day and night. Firstly, we started with them having 5 minutes together in a neutral territory (the sofa), then 10, 15 and so forth... They would spend one night in their separate cages, then spend the next day and night in the other piggy's cage, to get used to the smells of the other piggy. They get on really well now even though they have the odd rumble struts, and they live together in the C&C cage all the time =) Mine were just going through adolescence and were establishing dominance. It was such a hard time but they've become used to living with each other now =) And I try to keep them as active as possible with new toys etc, so that the more active piggy Butters doesn't pester Mimsy as much. Mimsy has also grown in confidence too which is lovely =) I hope everything works out with your piggies!!

Chritazy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You do need to cover the bars somehow, as bar chewing can break their teeth.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but this comment worries me. Both of my girls tend to chew on the bars. Do I need to raise the coroplast or can I cover the bars with fleece?

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but this comment worries me. Both of my girls tend to chew on the bars. Do I need to raise the coroplast or can I cover the bars with fleece?
You can try to cover it with fabric first for good air flow, otherwise go with the coro.
I had a girl with ovarian cysts causing aggression, and she could get past any fabric.

ButtersandMimsy

Cavy Slave
My guineas only chew on the bars when they demand food, as I like to hand feed them veggies through the bars so that they can reach up and take it if they want to, and don't have a big scary hand coming into their home! They used to do it whenever they wanted floor time too, (very demanding piggies, they did spend hours running around my bedroom and living room anyway lol), but maybe your piggies are chewing because they're a tad bored?
I'm only saying this cos my piggy Butters was forever trying to chew things like carpet so I got them a cardboard castle to tear apart and that's stopped it for some reason.

Rivet

Cavy Slave
I was about to write the exact same thing about my 2 males. They had been fighting too and I expanded the cage to 2x5 but they still fight. I found a couple deep bite marks on the less dominant one, so I separated them the exact same way. Now the dominant one keeps biting at the bars too, while the other doesn't really care about the other. I have found them sleeping next to the divider to be near each other, but I don't want the dominant one terrorizing the other. Hopefully the biting will stop soon, I have put some coroplast around the edge of the divider so he can't bite at them, but he keeps finding places higher up to try.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.