Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How to make A C&C Cage

guinealover701

Cavy Slave
I have been planning to make A C&C Cage. But I don't know what you really need. I have A Male and he just loves to run , and I have looked for ones you just buy but there $100-$300 and That's just to much for me right now. Thanks for the helpful comments

guinealover701

Cavy Slave
Oh, Almost forgot. Where would you get the stuff?

bguardguy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I got my grids at bed bath and beyond. I used a five dollar off coupon on each pack so I got a great deal. I had to order them online at the actual store though, so I also got free shipping, which is great because they are kinda heavy. The coroplast can be gotten at many places, in particular sign shops. The fleece bedding is found at most fabric stores. Just read up on it a bit. There are a ton of great forum threads to help you out.

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
It's great that you want a c & c cage! You can get grids online or in your local DIY shop, and correx in a local sign shop. What's your location? That way we can help you a bit more :)

_Cass_

Cavy Slave
I got my Coroplast from Rona, for $20 (it was a huge sheet), and my grids from wal-mart for $15. I also ordered Fleece from Jo-Anns, since there fleece online is 50% off right now! All in all, it cost about $70 for all of the fleece, grids and coro.

Good luck on building your cage!

Heres a link on how to build it:

How to Make a C&C Cage

clb89

Cavy Slave
I got my grids from amazon, for $20.00, but I had a amazon gift card and I get free shipping there. I plan on buying Coroplast from local sign shop or if I want to save time order it from this Guinea Pig forum's store already sized and folded for a cage.

bcfast

Cavy Slave
I am a new cavy owner and set out to use grids but unfortunatelyI bought them from Target and they were not the right kind. The box had 5 and 7panel grids that were not safe. I also did not like how everything fit togetherso I changed my mind and used closet shelving instead! I am glad I did! I havea 20+ sq ft cage for my pigs and they could not be happier. I was also muchhappier using the shelving this way. I only had 4 connections at the cornersand can easily pick up and move the whole cage it need be. I know others havebuilt them like this but I am not sure why it is not more popular. I bought 3 -6' x 12" plain metal shelves from Lowes that cost me approx $25. I cut oneinto 2 - 30" pieces for the sides and just zip tied off the 4 corner and Ihave a cage! It is a work in progress but I will post what I have so far.
:D
IMG_20130211_114815.jpg
IMG_20130211_114826.jpg
IMG_20130211_114839.jpg
IMG_20130211_114848.jpg
IMG_20130211_114903.jpg

Nika Lee

Cavy Slave
All the aforementioned sources for the grids are perfect! I just put together my own and the only thing I would recommend is not using the connectors that are "meant" for the grids; my money was wasted on them. They felt incredibly flimsy, and don't snap in. You just have to use/trust your own strength to shove them in and even so the grids do not feel secure. Save yourself some time and money and headache and definitely go with zip ties. I used almost 2 bags of 100 zip ties each and the cage is incredibly strong.

guinealover701

Cavy Slave
It's great that you want a c & c cage! You can get grids online or in your local DIY shop, and correx in a local sign shop. What's your location? That way we can help you a bit more :)

I live in the PA area

guinealover701

Cavy Slave
I live in the PA area. I will NOT go in the City to get any appliances, To confusing and to much traffic. Other then that I will be willing to go to any shops/Stores

guinealover701

Cavy Slave
And SO MUCH THANKS TO YALL! I would have not known what to get for my Guinea Pig!

MicheleB

Cavy Slave
I am from NY I now live in Texas

guinealover701

Cavy Slave
I got my grids from amazon, for $20.00, but I had a amazon gift card and I get free shipping there. I plan on buying Coroplast from local sign shop or if I want to save time order it from this Guinea Pig forum's store already sized and folded for a cage.

I got my Coroplast from Amazon. It's the cheapest place I can find to gte it

guinealover701

Cavy Slave
I am a new cavy owner and set out to use grids but unfortunatelyI bought them from Target and they were not the right kind. The box had 5 and 7panel grids that were not safe. I also did not like how everything fit togetherso I changed my mind and used closet shelving instead! I am glad I did! I havea 20+ sq ft cage for my pigs and they could not be happier. I was also muchhappier using the shelving this way. I only had 4 connections at the cornersand can easily pick up and move the whole cage it need be. I know others havebuilt them like this but I am not sure why it is not more popular. I bought 3 -6' x 12" plain metal shelves from Lowes that cost me approx $25. I cut oneinto 2 - 30" pieces for the sides and just zip tied off the 4 corner and Ihave a cage! It is a work in progress but I will post what I have so far.
:D
View attachment 42099
View attachment 42100
View attachment 42101
View attachment 42102
View attachment 42103
That's really cool! I wish I could do that ,but I don't have the money for that. :sad: I will just have to be happy that I'm Getting A C&C Cage and some new toys for him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.