Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Putting them in the same cage

newbiegirl

Cavy Slave
I have read the information about introductions and the dating game. However, it doesn't say when it is okay to put them in a cage together. How do you know it is the right time?

Do you plan on breeding your pigs? If so I must stress the fact not to. It is difficult for the guinea pig and you may lose the sow and babies, or just one of the two, either way it is hard to deal with.

If you just want to see the cute little babies then frankly, in my opinion, that is pure ignorance. There are other cute pigs dying everyday in shelters because there isn't enough room to house them all.

If you want another cavy or two, go to a shelter, rescue, sanctuary and so on. You shouldn't put your pigs through the whole breeding and birthing process just for your pleasure.

Oh, I don't think you understand...I want to put two females together! The term dating game just refers to two pigs meeting regardless of sex.

Oh, I'm so sorry... I take that back. Anyway, I can't really help you with that. *smacks self* I feel nasty...

You need to be completely sure when you put them back together. Have quarantine, then introductions, and if needed , the buddy bath. You need to make sure that they have been introduced many many times before taking the risk of putting them together. When you do and you fell comfortable with them being together, watch them for at least a few hours.

Guinea_Gal said:
You need to make sure that they have been introduced many many times before taking the risk of putting them together

You should only do one introduction as it stresses them out to separate them after they have sorted out dominance.

I had real trouble with my pigs when I added a 3rd pig to an already bonded pair. I gave them separate floor times until they stopped snorting and biting at each other through the cage bars and simply acknowledged each other. Then, one day I gave them floor time together with their breakfast and they got on OK. While I was finishing cleaning the cage out, they all went in toether and fell asleep within inches of each other!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.