Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Coughing URGENT- choking after antibiotics

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hello, I know it's been a while since I have participated here but I could really use help.

My guinea pig pickle is on .08ml antibiotics twice daily for an eye infection. I gave him his dose about a half hour ago but it went down wrong and he had been struggling and choking since then. I called the emergency vet but the only one who will see him is two hours away. The vet I spoke with on the phone recommended waiting until morning if possible to bring him to a close vet, she thinks the stress from a long car ride Will make breathing harder for him and was doubtful he would survive it.

I am so scared and guilty feeling. Has anyone experienced this? Any advice? He is eating fine still.

Thank you.

kraizy randoms

Cavy Slave
Don't feel guilty, you didn't do anything wrong, i hope he coughs it up! It's good if he is eating, he can't be suffocated and enjoying food, i wouldn't think. I hope someone with this experience can help you out soon!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure there's anything you can do since it's liquid and it sounds like he got it into his lungs. Does Pickles usually seem stressed in the car? I'm wondering why he's on oral antibiotics for an eye infection? The external antibiotic eye drops or gel are usually more effective for that. Maybe ask the vet when you take him (whether it's tonight or tomorrow).

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your support. He had had a few more big coughs and is doing a bit better, he was losing consciousness when I initially called the vet. His noises are still different, more grunt like and sound congested. Picking him up or touching his body seem to give him discomfort or pain.

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure there's anything you can do since it's liquid and it sounds like he got it into his lungs. Does Pickles usually seem stressed in the car? I'm wondering why he's on oral antibiotics for an eye infection? The external antibiotic eye drops or gel are usually more effective for that. Maybe ask the vet when you take him (whether it's tonight or tomorrow).

Thanks for your reply. Yes, even for a guinea pig he is particularly nervous and stressed ever since he was a baby. Just an extra cautious personality. He has done the trip to cornell before and it was not an easy trip.
I mentioned the eye infection a bit as an afterthought, sorry. He is actually missing that eye, had it removed over a year ago. The surgery was not entirely successful and he gets recurring infections in it. He has topical antibiotics for daily use but when it gets bad he goes on a cycle of oral antibiotics. He is on the last week of his last cycle for this particular infection now, I've never had problem like this before.

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
An update. As time had passed his belly had gotten hard. I'm assuming his coughing and choking led him to swallow a lot of air. I ran and bought some infant gas relief. Have him about half a dose and massaged his belly. Gave him some water as well. Finally he pooped a few times. He still seems a uncomfortable but I'm hoping the worst has passed. He just ate some hay and is lying down now, but still is whining a bit and I can hear his stomach I can tell his belly still hurts but he needs some rest too. This all started around midnight it is after 4am now.

On the other hand he is no longer coughing.

Irrelevant to this but my day started with my car braking down spending 4 hours and $500 on brakes. Haven't even had dinner yet, it's been a day :(

Rywen

Cavy Slave
How is Pickles doing, what did the vet say today? It sounds like you had a horrible day, I hope today was better!

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your concern. Yes today was much, much better! And the patient is doing fantastic!

Pickle is back to his normal self, thank goodness! He is up begging for food and running around. His breath and digestive sounds were normal, I was told to keep an eye on him and on his weight but from what we could tell he is perfectly healthy! I thought for sureI was going to lose him last night, I can't believe he made it. Here is thepatient, alert and active! A far cry from the choking, bloated, in and out of consciousness baby from last night.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

MamaP

Cavy Slave
I can't even imagine how stressful that must have been. Glad to hear he is well. He's a cutie!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd continue to keep a close eye on him. After aspirating liquid into their lungs, guinea pigs can develop pneumonia.

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
I will be, I was instructed to weigh him twice daily for at least the next two weeks and keep extra watch if he struggles to breath, coughs or loses appetite.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
He looks pretty happy in your pigtures :)

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
Yes he is doing much better and consequently so am lol!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.