Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stands What to use as a cage stand?

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
Hello!
I am in the process of getting everything ready to make a C&C Cage for Rudy, my Skinny Pig. I have read that it is better to have them up off the ground, so that they don't see you as a huge, giant predator :rolleyes: I also love the idea of having storage underneath, as the room he (and my Rabbits) is in is pretty small! I was planning to make the cage 3 grids x 4 grids so eventually (sooner rather than later) Rudy can have a buddy :D

What should I use as a stand? I REALLY want to be able to fit normal sized Rubbermaid bins under it, as I go through TONS of hay and wood pellets (as litter) between Rudy and my two rabbits. Small bins just don't cut it!

So, share your ideas? :eek: And photos are HUGELY appreciated!

Attachments

RudyLettuce3.jpg RudyLettuce.jpg

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
How big is your cage? :)

Rain Shadow

Cavy Slave
Why not make a C&C grid stand?

Like this

(broken link removed)

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
@Rain Shadow I love that idea, but I need larger bins to be able to fit under it! Small bins don't cut it when you have 2 rabbits and soon to be 2 piggies haha

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
@Guineapigpro the one I want to make will be 3 grids x 4 grids, for two Male Guineas

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
Thank you!

You could consider a tall table. Measure out the dimensions, and then you could order it. Also, more creatively, if you get some lumber from Lowe's you could build a stand.

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
@Guineapigpro Oh thanks! Good idea haha. Sometimes I'm clueless... :rolleyes:

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
No, it's fine! Sometimes other people come up with ideas I didn't think of too! ;)

ForumTyler

Cavy Slave
I used an old toy box as their cage stand, but then they decided to be afraid of heights... they've been a lot less flighty since they've been on the ground. Where not have several levels of your cage if doing it yourself?

Anyway: My old toy box just happened to be conveniently the size of the cage, but you could easily use a table, or even have one of those cages that are attached to a wall if you're someone that loves little home projects.

I do think the table idea is the easiest though.

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
@ForumTyler thanks! Well, I LOVE the idea of having room for storage underneath the cage... mainly because my closet is not useable, as it has the stair bulk head...ugh! I managed to get a small hanging shelfy thing for the smaller items. But I definitely need place to store the hay, pellets, and litter for these critters! And if I want to build Rudy a nice big cage, I won't have anywhere for my supplies... hopefully he won't mind the height! :)

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I made a stand out of grids for my cage. Its all one piece so the stand and cage are together. I tried attaching a picture but its not working. I'll try again later.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I use grids to make a two grid high stand. Very sweet on the back. It gives you a ton of space too.

What to use as a cage stand?

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys! :D

I *think* I will be going the table route...just so I can store larger bins underneath. Also, what size cage is suitable for 2 Male Guinea Pigs? I am really hoping the table I currently have will be suitable, and hoping I can fit it in my pet room! I really don't want Rudy to be an only Guinea Pig....

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I use a folding table with a tablecloth on it to make it look better.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
For males a 2x5 would work but you may be able to get away with a 2x4 especially if they squabble a lot.

Artista

Cavy Slave
I have an old tv stand with shelving that you can rearrange as a stand. Got it from Target a few years ago.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Sry meant not squabble a lot. :)

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys!

Hopefully the table I am thinking of is large enough....yikes

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
Wahoo! :D

A 3 grid x 5 grid cage, or a 2 grid x 5 grid cage will fit on the table I have! Can't wait to look into building it. Am VERY tempted to be lazy and order a cage from the Cage Store though :rolleyes: Will be pricing out building a cage vs ordering one! Whatever is cheaper wins haha. Though I am definitely making or buying fleece flippers! Those are absolutely genius...

Will post photos of everything!

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
I know I'm kinda late to the party, and it looks like you have it figured out, but I wanted to share my stand in case anyone else needed inspiration.
My piggies are in my office, and since their cage is taking up precious bookcase space, I put the bookshelfs underneath them! I used plywood on top of several of these: https://www.amazon.com/ClosetMaid-8...e=UTF8&qid=1397859749&sr=8-1&keywords=cubbies
It's great because they are at chest height, so I'm not towering over them, I don't have to bend down to clean their cage, and I have a lot of storage for all of their stuff.

Excuse the random book placement--I haven't had a chance to organize yet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.