Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size First cage

New piggies

Cavy Slave
Would this work for two piggies?
We don't have any yet, I'm just trying to figure out all I'd need

(broken link removed)

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
While this could work, it's on the small side. Are we talking about males or females?

MAndPAreMyPigs

Cavy Slave
It is a little small but it could work for two females. Males would not get along in just 8 square feet though. Have you looked into c and c cages?

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
It's the bare minimum acceptable size for two females, males would definitely need more space. Seeing as you didn't purchase any cages yet, I'd look at C&C. This cage, for example, is much more appropriate for two girls (still too small for boys), and it's not much more than the midwest on EBay.

Normal 2x4, no lid or loft, $63 w/ $20 shipping
(broken link removed)

Normal 2x4, no lid or loft, $71 w/ $15 shipping
(broken link removed)

2x4 covered cage (you'll only need this if you have bigger animals that you're afraid will get to the pig, or small children. Guinea pigs aren't the best escape artists, so they don't need a cover. The covers are more for protection)
(broken link removed)
Anyways, $107 with $17 shipping

2x4 with a 1x2 loft, $69 w/ $19 shipping
(broken link removed)

And that's just on the first page of EBay ;)
You can also make your own C&C if you're handy... you can buy the grids nearly anywhere (Bed Beth and Beyond, Amazon, Home Depot, the Dollar Store), the coroplast is only $13 for a large sheet at HomeDepot and they're held together by zip ties.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It's adequate for females, but not for males (a pair).

Many people also say the canvas bottom of a Midwest is difficult to clean, and bunches up too much. I'd look in to a C&C instead.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I second everyone else's posts.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It meets to recommended size of 2 guinea pigs. And yes/no that it would work. It depends on the pigs' personalities. If they love each other, cuddle and have no issues with each other, than size won't be of an issue in this cage. If the pigs are like every other pig, bicker, chase, mount and sometimes love one another, then no, the cage will likely not work.

This is partially the reason why we say "bigger is better". The more space the pigs have, the less they'll bicker.

And, I am actually getting tired of people on this site having a bit of a sexist view on guinea pigs. There isn't 1 gender more aggressive than the other. People have had males and females who love to cuddle one another and have no issues. Just the same the with the opposite behavior. People have males and females who act like their cage mate is nothing but a nuisance. No, females don't do better in slightly smaller cages. Case in point, my females. They actually do MUCH better in a larger cage. And no, just because they're males doesn't mean they MUST have a larger cage. Why not even bother try to fit in as large of a cage as you possibly can?

slendermella

Cavy Slave
You can also make your own C&C if you're handy...

Really, you don't even need to be handy, you just need hands. It's pretty ridiculously simple to build a C&C cage and it's the least expensive way to get an appropriately sized cage. Really all it takes are a few materials and some time. It's worth it!

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
lol I know I would botch the coroplast xD Measuring AND cutting? I just don't trust myself with it lol

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
lol I know I would botch the coroplast xD Measuring AND cutting? I just don't trust myself with it lol

LOL..I have blotched it the first few times, I've now gotten better with it. Follow the rule of measuring 3 times and cutting once. A big one was getting it cut perfect for a cage made with connectors but with the rebuild I didn't use connectors.

HoneyBadger

Cavy Slave
I agree with @lunarminx, cutting the coroplast to fit snuggly with the connectors is not an easy task. By removing the connectors and using zip-ties you can make it a breeze.

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
I use a dog playpen for my cage, with a pet cargo liner for a bottom. I'm thinking of making a lip out of coroplast, though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.