Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Guinea pig owner and have no clue what I am doing D:

Tomie0612

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone ^-^

I'm a new owner and I joined because I really want to raise my guinea pig right. It's my first one and I am worried I am doing this all wrong lol.

Her et name is Mina.

jeannev79

Cavy Slave
Welcome, you should consider getting her a friend. They do better in at least pairs. We would love to see pigtures of your girl.

Cavilicious

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I was recently a new owner, too, and I understand some of your concerns. Don't worry, though; if you treat your piggy well, she'll come to love you lots.
I agree with jean; guinea pigs are social animals. Getting her a friend will help her adjust more quickly.
Good luck!

Razzle

Cavy Slave
Welcome. Mina is a lucky piggy. This is a great place to learn about the care of these sweet, gentle creatures. Start with the diet area and check out the various veggies and the amounts suggested. They need Timothy hay 24/7. This will be eighty percent of her diet. And again Welcome.

Tomie0612

Cavy Slave
I would post pictures but my phone is being really slow and what not lol. I would love to get her a friend but right now me and my husband decided to start out with just one to see how it is and so far I love her. I will definitely consider getting her a friend to be with. I don't have hay alone. I have the food with the hay combined. Thank you for your welcomes.

Iris Mochi

Cavy Slave
Also remember to have a properly sized cage. I believe 2 x 3 feet which is 6 sq. feet is the minimum here :)

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

CoffeeAddict

Cavy Slave
Hi and Welcome! :) Everyone here is extremely helpful. You can find Timothy hay at pretty much any pet store. They need it allllll the time to keep their teeth at the correct length and to help their digestive system to keep moving.

Pipandpoppy

Cavy Slave
She would do best with a friend.

GuineaPigMania2

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I'm glad you came here, it's a great place. It really would be good if you could get a friend. Another female may work great! She needs hay all the time, Timothy, meadow or orchard are good types. Make sure she has veggies like lettuce and bell pepper and treat her to some cozies in the store! I hope you enjoy this site and your new pig! Pigtures would be nice!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

Your pig needs hay for a number of reasons, the main being it's about 70% of their diet. It stops their teeth from overgrowing, keeps their gut moving, and provides essential nutrients. It needs to be a long strand grass hay, timothy is the most common.

I can promise having two is no more work than one. The only real difference is the cost, i.e more hay and veg etc as they'll go through it quicker. Guinea pigs are social herd animals, and when paired are generally more outgoing, happier, and more vocal. It won't prevent them from bonding with you (being in a pair), it may even mean they bond quicker as they have more confidence.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! Here are some tips:

Pellets: A good brand of pellets to get is Oxbow Cavy Cuisine for pigs 6 months and up, Oxbow Cavy Preformance for newborns to 6 months old (it has extra calcium for them to grow) and KMS Hayloft. You will need PLAIN Timothy pellets, no nuts, seeds, or colores bits. The amount of pellets to give your pig is 1/8 of a cup per pig, per day.

Hay: Guinea pigs need a long grass hay to keep their teeth worn down and their gut moving. Good hay to give them is either Timothy or Orchard. There are more substitutes but I cant think of the other substitutes. Baby guinea pigs need Timothy hay, along with either parsley or alfalfa hay WITH their Timothy for extra calcium to grow. Alfalfa is not a long grass hay to be feeding your pig. Its a legume like a pea, and does not keep their teeth worn down.

Water: People say water bottles are the best choice, because water dishes get too dirty and can flip over. If you are worried about extra minerals in the water and you have a Brita Filter you can use that (I use it)

Cage: A C&C cage is the best type of cage for a pig. If you look around you can see where to get DIY tips and items on how to build one. The minium space for two pigs is 2x4 grids. If you can fit it, 2x5 is preferred. Warning: if you get grids, make sure the squares are 9x9 in the grid. They changed some of them to 8x8 and peoplea guinea pigs were getting heads stuck in the bars.

Bedding: Nice beddings to use are either fleece, or kiln dried pine shavings/aspen shavings. Never use Cedar because the oils in it cause respitory and foot problems.

Hide Houses: Every guinea pig needs a hidey house. Dont get the medium size pigloo, those cause lack air circulation and who wants their pig sitting in a stink hut. Each hide house you get will need to have 1 entrance and 1 exit. Some people including me use RubberMaid stools for hidey houses. There are other house options besides stools dont worry.

Veggies: Good veggies to give your pig are: Green/red leaf lettuce, cherry tomato, carrots every once in awhile, and green bell peppers. Green bell peppers are a good source of vitamin c for a pig. Piggies cant make their own vitamin c, so giving them 1/8 of a green pepper a day will help them. To add about the carrots; guinea pigs cant process sugar that well, so keeping the amounts of fruit and carrots small and spread apart is best. There are other veggies you can give your pig and how often to, and what veggies are not good to give: https://www.guineapigcages.com/food/Veggie-and-Fruit-Charts.pdf

Care and cleaning of your pig: Guinea pigs rarely need baths, unless they are super smelly or dirty. A good shampoo to use for your pig is either Gorgeous Guineas, or Squeaky Clean for small animals from a petstore. Also, their nails do grow and there are tutorials on how to clip them or have a vet clip them for you. If you ever need a vet, make sure they are an exotic pet vet and are cavy savy.

Getting a buddy and how to introduce: Guinea pigs are happier with a buddy. If you are looking to get a buddy, please check recues, craigslist, or petfinder. Do not go to a petstore or a breeder. This forum is anti-breeding/petstore and pro-adoption. Breeding guinea pigs is hard on the mother and babies. There are enough pigs without homes in the world, breeding makes it worse. Breeding also means a 20% chance the mom might die. Anyway back to buddies and introductions. You will need a same sex pig friend for your own pig, or if your pig is a girl you could also find a neutered boy. After you found your desired pig, there is a 21 day quarentine to make sure your new pig isnt sick. Quarentine needs to be in a different cage, in a different room. After quarentine is over, find a large open space for your pigs to meet. It needs to be on neutral ground where neither pig has been before. Do not just plop your guinea pigs in a cage, this needs to be done on neutral ground. Put a pile of some veggies in the area and a pile of hay, and put the pigs in the area. See this for more details: https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

Thats all the (long) advice I have on guinea pigs :) I hope your new piggy is doing well. Please correct me if I made any mistakes in my huge post.

Last edited:

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@PiggieWigglies the only thing I picked up on was pellet measurements. Pigs under 6 months can have an unlimited amount of pellets :)

Razzle

Cavy Slave
What kind of pellet are you feeding your piggy? Hay is not an option, it is a necessary part of their diet, vital for the health of your piggy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.