Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New To the World of Guinea Pigs

Kitty Moore

Cavy Slave
Hi, I'm kitty, sorry for anything that looks funny spelling or grammer wise since I don't have internet for my computers right now, so I'm using my cell (which I'm pretty sure does things to make it hard to do any cpu related).

ANYWAYS! Besides that boring blurb for you I currently have 6 critters in my house, and according to everyone I know it is a zoo. I have 2 guinea pigs of unknown age, and I think are boys, one is very noticable and the other still bites me every time I stick a hand in the cage so I can't quiet tell yet (praying its not a girl cause my husbend would get really upset that we have more then 6 animals in the house). I found them in a bag outside my local petstore (who take in a lot of small animals as rescue animals to sell <I know shame on me but the closet HS I was looking at had nothing nor did their "friends" so I would have had to travel 4hours one way to get a pig and I don't drive out of town>and even then it would have only been one pig since they only had one male) the Piggies are doing great and thriving even if they are in a old bunny cage, which now I know the cage is too small for my Piggies but soon as payday rolls around I am changing that! One is what I am thinking to be an American GP and one to be againg what I think, a silkie. The american is orange and white with red eyes and my silkie is a black, brown and white fella with black eyes. My silkie is the one that bites...my american weighs about 3 pounds and my silkie weighs about 2, both give and take a few ounces.

I have two male kittens that are going to a vet soon so they can get fixed at almost 7 months old (sadly hadn't been able to afford to take them till recently but they live purely inside since I know around my house there is a stray cat problem and I really don't want any more unwanted animals in the world).

Then I have 2 dogs, a 5 month old basset hound that a friend gave us since she was refusing to go potty outside (they expected a free rein pup to hold it for 9 hours without any messes and not in a kennel) she sleeps in her kennel at night with my aussie boo boo that we got while we went to help our neice pick up a pup from a couple people they knew that had a accident breeding (aka they bred the dogs and didn't want anyone to get mad at them for doing that to a old dog) and they said that they were going to take the puppy that no one wanted due to him having epilepsy (sp?) To the pound. I got him for free and he is the best little pup I have ever had. And I feed them Fromm Puppy chow and there is no signs of anything medicaly wrong.

So, in short I have two rescue pigs, two rescue kittens and two adopted pups that live in my house and always am watching out for other creatures since I am a huge softy like that. Sorry if this is incredably long and boring for you guys to read! Hopefully I will post a picture of my two Piggies for you guys to see soon!

Welcome Kitty, i am new to the board also and like you, i have a zoo in my house!!

Welcome Kitty!!

Welcome to the forum! there are a good number of animal lovers on the forum that have mini zoos in their homes. We have quite a few animals too. 5 guinea pigs, 1 dog, 2 gerbils, 1 snake, an aquarium, and my husband has a few tarantulas. :sick:

Read up on how to sex your guinea pigs. If they are boy/girl you will need to separate them immediately and put the female on pregnancy watch. https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

I am so glad that I'm not the only one with a zoo in their house!
My husbend is more scared of spiders then I am thankfully!

@Amanda: Thank you!
@mumof4andzoo: Welcome! And thank you!

Its always nice to meet new people!

@Inle_Rabbit: Thank you! I know I need to sex them but my only issues is my silkie likes to bite...but hopefully tonight I can since I have been getting to know the pigs and bribing them with greens and carrots....

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Kitty!

BIG tip for biting piggie handling - nettle proofed gardening gloves. You can feel the pressure when they bite, but they can't break through and it doesn't sting, so you can keep a grip on them.

That's nice to know for me also @Princess_Piggie my boars bite me but my girls don't. Weirdest thing.

Your boars might just be hormonal teenagers. I can just hear it now "get off me mom. No seriously, i'll keep my fur in this style if I want to. stop moving my fur it looks good!" - cue the biting- haha!

That's really nice to know...thank you @Princess_Piggie!
The last couple days I have reached in their cage and my (hopefully male) Piggie has let me pet them with no issues, small progress but hey its progress lol :p

Even what seems like small progress, is massive progress with piggies!

To give you an idea of how once they're used to you and they're surroundings, I'll just give you a brief outline of my girls and their personality development.

When I first brought them home, Daisy was utterly terrified of everything. They live in my room, so if I so much as shifted the way I was sitting, Daisy would freak out and go diving in to her hidey, and not come out for at least 10 minutes. Minnie, on the other hand, was a confident little thing, loved being picked up, didn't even care if I made a loud noise/sudden movement by mistake. I've had them just over two months, and Daisy's blossomed in her confidence! She doesn't move a muscle when I go to pick her up, and she's so relaxed with me that she falls asleep on my lap! Minnie's become much more cage-confident as I like to call it, and will run right up to me to get veggies, wheeks at me for attention etc, but it's become clear that she's terrified of open space and will bolt at the first chance. So, in short, don't base your opinions of their personalities on the first few weeks, because they're still coming out of their shell. Heck, mine are still coming out of their shell!

Well, I hadn't really thought of that...but that is because it has been almost a month since I found them and we are just now getting to they are figuring out that I'm a source of goodies and hay and water...
Speaking of water every time they hear water running they stand on the edge of the cage like "score! Fresh water!" Then they popcorn for a second then they wait

Mine have come to the conclusion that footsteps on the stairs means veggies, which means every time I come up the stairs, I get wheeked at like mad for about 10 minutes! Shortly followed by a disappointed flop on to the floor when they realise it's not veggie time...

Your boars might just be hormonal teenagers. I can just hear it now "get off me mom. No seriously, i'll keep my fur in this style if I want to. stop moving my fur it looks good!" - cue the biting- haha!

Hahaha I hadn't thought about that!!! You're most likely right.

Mine have come to the conclusion that footsteps on the stairs means veggies, which means every time I come up the stairs, I get wheeked at like mad for about 10 minutes! Shortly followed by a disappointed flop on to the floor when they realise it's not veggie time...

My Piggies are near the fridge...they ask me (or demand however you want to look at it) they get something from the fridge...

Welcome to the forum kitty!
I'm another one of those who have a mini zoo at home ;-)
Hubby and I have 2 piggies, a bunny and 2 cats.... in a one bedroom apartment lol
I was totally happy and.content with just one cat but one day my hubby tested me and he's like hey I found a kitty outside and brought her inside to feed because she looks all starved..... great *sigh*
poor thing turned out to be severely malnourished, missing an eye and is fiv+ so we have not been able to find a home for her even though she is super cuddly and sweet and playful now that she's been pampered andnspoiled for a few months. So I guess we'll keep her and just not tell the landlords lol
anyways.... best of luck that your piggies are same sex. It.sounds like you're really good care of them!

Welcome to the forum Kitty! haha My nickname in middle school was Kitty, I'm jealous of your name. I'm Stephanie :)

My Piggies are near the fridge...they ask me (or demand however you want to look at it) they get something from the fridge...

Mine whenever they hear the rustle of a bag, be it a carrier/paper or school bag... start wheeking for munchies!!

I had a bunny...I miss my bunny...but after talking with my neice (and her parents) she got my bunny since she was looking for a white bunny...well he is an albino...and very very spoiled now (has an outdoor encloser that is the size of my bedroom...her parents couldn't afford one...but they had a huge set up for. The old bunnies that they had a long time ago...

Welcome to the forum kitty!
I'm another one of those who have a mini zoo at home ;-)
Hubby and I have 2 piggies, a bunny and 2 cats.... in a one bedroom apartment lol
I was totally happy and.content with just one cat but one day my hubby tested me and he's like hey I found a kitty outside and brought her inside to feed because she looks all starved..... great *sigh*
poor thing turned out to be severely malnourished, missing an eye and is fiv+ so we have not been able to find a home for her even though she is super cuddly and sweet and playful now that she's been pampered andnspoiled for a few months. So I guess we'll keep her and just not tell the landlords lol
anyways.... best of luck that your piggies are same sex. It.sounds like you're really good care of them!

Welcome to the forum Kitty! haha My nickname in middle school was Kitty, I'm jealous of your name. I'm Stephanie :)

I like your name also! In middle school a lot of people called me either cat or kit lol
Thank you Stephanie! :)

Mine whenever they hear the rustle of a bag, be it a carrier/paper or school bag... start wheeking for munchies!!

"Hey! Don't forget us mom! You have to share too!"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.