Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions 3 year female died randomly. why :(

amandaisamoose

Cavy Slave
One of my three year old females died this morning. I have no idea why and this worries me. My mom found her this morning. Yesterday she was fine. Acting normal. Being cuddling. Why would this happen.

I just rescued two males. Could they have something and passed it on? They aren't housed in the same cage but are in the same room. The other female is acting completely fine. They get food and hay and veggies. I don't know what happened. And I'm really scared the others have something wrong also. Isn't three young to pass?

They get exercise. They aren't in cages to much. I'm so confused and sad :(.

As for the living girl. Should I get her another friend? How soon? Around what age? I know I'll have to introduce them slowly and such.

This is so sad :(

Are these your first guinea pigs? Newer owners often miss the subtle symptoms that let you know they're ill. Loss of appetite, change in behavior, excessive drinking, dropping food out of their mouths when they eat, runny eyes or noses, labored breathing, hunching up when they pee, sleeping a lot are all symptoms. It could even be something like a congenital heart defect where there wouldn't be any symptoms. The only way to know for sure is to have a necropsy done to find a cause of death. If her companion has never had a well check, you could make an appt to have her checked out. A heart murmur or URI would be detected. I doubt it's from the males. You'd have seen symptoms if she caught something from them. Once you rule out illness, you can get her another companion. Your local guinea pig rescue can probably help you find a suitable friend for her.

Yeah they are. I try to watch very carefully. She seemed to be doing everything normal.
I was thinking heart problem. I don't know why. Just was.
I have an appt for the boys. I'll have to add the girl to it.
Thank you.

I am so sorry for your loss! It is a terrible feeling. I agree with Pinky. Vets have told me that piggies go down so fast, they are great at keeping their illness hidden from us! I once noticed my 8week old girl wasn't right and rushed her to the vet. They had her in an incubator and were even doing CPR, on a tiny piggy!! Turns out it was a congenital problem.

Sometimes as hard as we try things do go wrong so all you can do is find her a friend and give them all love as usual :) . All the best! x.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.