Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) I want a gp, but is it the right animal for me?

• Thread starter VincentandGoose
  • Start date

VincentandGoose

Cavy Slave
I've been trying to decide whether to adopt a chinchilla or a guinea pig, but I've decided to adopt a guinea pig.
Two, to be exact.
I don't particularly like the expense, but I think that it'll be a life learning experience, and that I'll enjoy it.
But I'm still asking the question,
Are guinea pigs right for me, or should I adopt a chinchilla?

Threepigsnacuy

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs and chinchillas have very different needs. Chinchillas are very fragile, often do not like to stay still and cuddle, need a tall cage, and are mostly nocturnal.(i have never owned a chinchilla so correct me if i am wrong)Guinea pigs often do like to cuddle with their owners, are up in the daytime, and they need a cage with a large bottom floor.
If you want to get a guinea pig, you need to think about some things. Do you have room for a C and C cage, at least a 2x3 or 2x4? Are you willing to spend lots and lots of money at the vet when needed? Guinea pigs are not cheap, you say you don't like the expense, well, no one likes it, but do you have that money? Where will you be in eight years? Guinea pigs can live a long time.
:)

VincentandGoose

Cavy Slave
I suppose a guinea pig would be the right choice.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, I'd do a lot of research first on chinchilla sites. They live a LONG time for such a small animal, are very active, need large cages, and their vet care is even more expensive than a guinea pig.

But if you get a guinea pig, you need two -- they're herd animals, and they do much better with a buddy. Check the Main tab at the top of this page for cage size requirements, and make sure you've got enough money for vet visits -- they're expensive, and exotic vets can be hard to find.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I have had many chinchillas and 5 guinea pigs. I would say guinea pigs make better pets than chinchillas. I would go as far as to say that they are very much equal in the majority of their needs.

Here are several things that make them similar:
1. Diet. They both require pellets, hay and fresh water. Additionally guinea pigs eat a variety of veggies daily, not a big deal.
2. cage size, chinchillas can jump 3 feet high. They need a very roomy cage, primarily vertical space. But if you let your chinchilla out for cage time they will run fast and far and rebound off the walls like a skateboarder on a ramp. Guinea pigs need horizontal space. Size wise the cages would be about the same, chinchilla cages would be a tall rectangle. Guinea pig cages a long rectangle.
3. They live in the same area of the country and have the same temperature requirements, both need to stay under 80* to avoid heat stroke, both prefer cooler environments.
4. they both can go on either disposable bedding or reusable fleece bedding.
5. they both poop ALOT. ALOT.
6. they both beg for food.
7. they are both equally hearty. As in there is no difference between chinchillas an guinea pigs as far as which is more or less hearty.
8. Neither should be housed outside.
9. they both shed fur.
10. they both have teeth that continue to grow.
11. They both have fully furred open eyed young, able to run around from the day they are born.
12. Vet bills are about equal.
13. They are both very fast when loose.
14. Both are herd animals and both benefit from living with a buddy. Anyone who has seen chinchillas groom and snuggle know they should be in pairs.

Here are the main differences:
1. chinchillas are nocturnal. They are kinda boring during the day. They are very active and can be noisy at night. Chinchilla wheels take up space and are expensive but provide a great outlet for exercise. If you are a light sleeper they will wake you up.
2. Chinchillas require dust baths. Even with a bath house (plastic box) this makes a mess, increases dust in your house and is terrible for asthmatics and those that suffer from allergies.
3. they live a very long life. Most of my chinchillas have lived over 12 years, everyone of them over 10 years. Several of them have lived to 13/14 yrs old. My current chinchilla is now 14.
4. Chinchillas do not like to cuddle. They will not typically sit or snooze on your lap. Guinea pigs are much more interactive.
5. Guinea pigs drink more often, they pee a lot more. Their cage requires more frequent cleaning.
6. Guinea pigs are more interactive vocally.
7. Guinea pigs can live to around 8 but the average life expectancy is 5 years.
8. Chinchillas can and will get into lots of nooks and crannies. They can jump out of most corrals. They really need an empty room to let them run in vs setting up a simple play pen. Once they learn how to jump you won't be able to keep them in it unless the walls are over 3 feet high. If you don't have a place to let them run then you might end up sitting in your bathroom a lot :eek:)
9. Chinchilla pellets cost more, but guinea pigs love veggies and those will cost more than the chinchilla feedl But chinchilla dust is an added expense so I'd say its about equal.
10. chinchillas are much more voracious chewers and more destructive if you leave them loose in your room they will probably find a way behind your furniture to any wires and chew them.
11. Chinchillas really need either a store bought cage, or a cage built with wire bigger than 1/2" x 1" wire size. You really shouldn't put a chinchilla in a C and C or any other cage with bars any bigger than that or when they bounce off the walls their feet will go thru and it can break a leg. This happens all the time and it has happened to one of mine.
12. Chinchillas are easier to catch, by putting down their dust bath and waiting for them to jump in. The trick is not to dust them before you let them out to run.
13. Poop frequently gets flung out of a chinchilla cage.

I love my chinchillas, but guinea pigs make better pets, especially if you are looking for an animal you can pet and cuddle.

VincentandGoose

Cavy Slave
Why the feces flinging?
It that a trait all chinchilkas have?

Traysea

Cavy Slave
They have a tendency to bounce off the cage walls. They can actually run a lap around the walls of the cage without touching the floor. Because of all the jumping the poop goes flying out of the cage or gets flung out when they run hard on the wheel. Also some chinchillas like to pee outside their cage as well to keep it cleaner and female chinchillas can also spray pee at you as a defense mechanism. It doesn't happen all the time, only when they feel threatened, but it can happen. Male chinchillas frequently clean their penis orally, which can be a shock to people who don't know about the size of it as compared to the rest of their body.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Also please don't think I don't love my chinchilla because I do but those are just some things that stand out as things people might not realize when they get a chinchilla.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.