Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Building a larger cage off a pet store cage that can be put away when needed

lost_lover

Cavy Slave
I upgraded from a small pet store cage, to a considerably larger pet store cage; (broken link removed) I took out the grate bottom and do not use the ramp. While it is not as big as recommend she seems pretty comfortable, since it is a rather dramatic increase from her old tiny cage. I want to give Truffle more space though, like everyone else on here has. Also now that she has recovered from being sick, other than needing to put on a bit more weight, she has been acting really lonely and wanting to play a lot. I take her out as much as I can, but I do work full time, so I am thinking once she had gained the weight I might need to get her a friend (need to get 100% positive that she is a she before doing that lol) and the cage is in no way big enough for two.

The pet store cage is so convenient, easy to clean, and fits well in my small 1 bedroom. I would like to build off the cage, I am thinking use the main door to it as a small ramp into the larger cage. However if I have company over, or temporarily need the space for something, I would like the make it so that the cage can be somewhat easily 'packed up' and Truffle (as well as possible a new friend) can be safely kept in the pet store cage temporarily.

I was thinking of something that folds up, but maybe I am thinking in the wrong direction. I have wood floors (original 1920's) so the bottom needs to be completely leak proof. I am open to trying fleece as the bedding but I do really like the carefresh bedding I currently use, I spot clean every few days and change it every few weeks and never had any odor at all. So how I would do the base really has me at a blank. While my cats are super sweet and have never tried to hurt my guinea pig I just do not trust them having access to her while I am not around so it would have to be something they cannot get into, they are are from escape artists (well it would be the opposite of escape in this case, and mostly blind) so it probably does not have to be super duper impossible to get into. I am very handy and not afraid of taking on big projects, I can spend a bit of money but I am far from having a large disposable income.

I am hoping for some ideas, suggestions, anything you can throw at me. If I could make a big cage that always stayed out I would, and I am not planning on putting it away every time someone stops by. I just need something that if want to have people over for dinner, or I have people from out of town sleeping in the living room I can put away and it is not going to take me two hours to reassemble.

I did her so wrong early in her life I want my Truffle to have the best I can give.

Can you connect it to a C&C cage like this?
(broken link removed)

For the lid, you can use two 16 inch closet wire shelving.
(broken link removed)

See floortime gallery for ideas.
(broken link removed)

If you don't use connectors, the grids can be folded accordion style.
Instead of coroplast, you can use plastic shower curtain, then uhaul pads, and fleece on top.

(broken link removed)

Last edited:
I made a play area for my pigs by zip tying cage cubes together. It folds up like an accordion and is easy to store. So, you could do that and have a ramp that goes into the store bought cage. It would need a lid bc of the cat so maybe more grids tied together that could be attached and detached. And a base made out of the coroplast to protect ur rug. It sound like a lot but it could be broken down and stored in a closet or under a couch.

I have a store bought cage, and I allow my pets access to a playpen when I don't need the space.

What I have done is bought a shelving kit that includes many of the wire grids that are used to build C&C cages. I have connected them with pipecleaners (they were on hand .. couldn't find zip ties in the store) so that they fold up easily to sit behind my desk when it's not being used. If I wanted to I could secure them to the edge of the cage with pipecleaner and then just untwist it when I am not using it.

The cage design that I have has a deep base, so the pigs were unable to climb out of it on their own. What I did was built a ramp out of coroplast, and secured fabric onto it with binder clips, so that they can leave the cage. Instead of just a ramp on the inside of the cage, I also build a loft that simply sits on the lip of the plastic part of the cage. So they go up the ramp, across the loft which is a hidey for two underneath, and then down the ramp into the playpen. The fleece and tablecloth that is used as the bottom can just be folded up along with the wire grids.

Using zip ties instead of the connectors would make the cage completely foldable I suppose, I just was not sure if that was sturdy enough. Maybe I could just use some type of heavy plastic mesh for the top to keep the cats out? They will probably try and nap on the top though so I would need to be sure it wouldn't just give in under their weight. A big 'ceiling' of grids just does not seem practical to me, and like it would have to be completely disassembled not only for putting the cage away but regular cleaning and taken a good bit apart just to take her out of the cage. Seriously my boys would never try and hurt her, but I can very well see them wanting to play and getting way to rough.

I have used pooch pads before and seems that they would be more affective they a u-haul pad, although I forgot how expensive they are and I do not have my old ones. I do not have a washer/dryer at my place, I usually use my friend's down the street and I would not feel comfortable washing soiled bedding at their place so I would require a special trip to the laundromat for cleaning the cage. Disposable bedding works better for me because of that.

Thinking of this idea of attaching individual pieces of some material (not sure what yet) at the bottom of each grid so it can still fold but I would have a little 'wall' to keep bedding in. If I could just have a waterproof sheet under the bedding I could pick it all up and toss the bedding, but if I use plastic, like a shower curtain, right under the bedding she might find it and chew on it and the pooch pad is so pricy and very much defines the size and shape of the cage. A 48'x60' addition should be enough though, right? https://www.poochpad.com/posuvpa48x60.html

The ceiling of grids wouldn't have to be completely disassembled if it were removable, then it would fold up like the sides but longer. But Idk if it would hold up to the weight of a cat being on it. Idk what u could use as a lid but zip ties are pretty sturdy if u get the thicker ones. I know you said ur cat was sweet (and I'm sure s/he is) but cats are prey animals so be careful. ;-)

You could lay a thick sheet of vinyl on the floor to completely protect it from pee. You can buy it by the yard at the fabric store or purchase a remnant of vinyl sheet floor at local flooring stores (call around and see what they have) When I went in they gave me a huge remnant roll for free. It is easily mopped and sprayed clean. Also you can lay a full sheet of coroplast on the floor (laid flat not scored and folded) and put the grids right on top of it.

As for washing fleece, if you wanted to use fleece… I use a portable travel washing machine that sits on my counter top to wash all my pet laundry. I got mine refurbished on ebay for $75 (including shipping) and I have seen them on amazon for around the same price new. It would save you a trip to your friends house too :O) If finances allow a spin dryer cuts drying time down considerably and wrings the water out to about 90% dry. It takes less than a day for it to air dry the rest of the way. Faster if you put it in a sunny window. I can't say enough good things about my portable washer and dryer. They are small, but work well and are just big enough to do what I need it to. You could wash your own clothes in there too and only go to your friends for linens.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.