Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Fungal Nose Stripe?

Remymarie

Cavy Slave
Hello,
I currently have 3 guinea pigs and noticed something strange about my youngest one Delilah. She just turned 1 about a month ago and has always been happy and healthy. While brushing her I noticed she has a little white line down the front of her nose, feels like a scab. I looked up what it was and Fungal nose Infection/Stripe keeps coming up. Delilah is not acting any differently, eating, playing, drinking, etc. It's not "noticeable" I'm just very paranoid and check all of my piggies frequently.

Anyway, I DO plan on taking all of my piggies to the vet ASAP (I get paid on Friday) but what should I do til then, and does anyone else think it's a fungal infection as well? Or am I overreacting? (Usually do)

Should I remove Lilah from Checkers(male) and Snuffles(female)?
anything I can do for now to help?
Any help would be great!
Thanks.

Attachments

image.jpg

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Has it gotten bigger, or spread to other pigs? Look at guinealynx fungal pages

Remymarie

Cavy Slave
Has it gotten bigger, or spread to other pigs? Look at guinealynx fungal pages

I've looked at that page a few times before, from what I know no it has not gotten any bigger. I just noticed it today, and I bathed her about 3 days ago and she didn't have it. As of now, my 2 others don't have it. The only other thing I'm thinking is my older girl nips at Delilah when she tries to cuddle. Maybe it's a scratch?

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
We've always considered that a fungal nose stripe. Lots of pigs have them. However, lots of pigs have them forever. Even with frequent treatment with an anti-fungal cream, which leads me to suspect it might not be fungal.

Most people don't bother doing anything about them. If you do go to the vet, see if the vet will do one of those cultures to see if it really is fungal in nature.

Remymarie

Cavy Slave
We've always considered that a fungal nose stripe. Lots of pigs have them. However, lots of pigs have them forever. Even with frequent treatment with an anti-fungal cream, which leads me to suspect it might not be fungal.

Most people don't bother doing anything about them. If you do go to the vet, see if the vet will do one of those cultures to see if it really is fungal in nature.

I plan on going to the vet regardless for a normal check up. But this stripe won't hurt her? It's "normal?"
My main concern is that she'll be okay until I do go to the vet.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
She'll be fine. It won't effect her in any way, most likely.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can take a q-tip and rub in a tiny dab of an antifungal creme and see if it helps. Just rub it in well. Antifungals aren't as upsetting to their GI tracts as antibiotics, but you still don't want them ingesting that stuff any more than necessary. See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for the creams you can use.

Remymarie

Cavy Slave
You can take a q-tip and rub in a tiny dab of an antifungal creme and see if it helps. Just rub it in well. Antifungals aren't as upsetting to their GI tracts as antibiotics, but you still don't want them ingesting that stuff any more than necessary. See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for the creams you can use.

Thanks! Ill try some cream tomorrow and see if that improves anything.

janinehunt

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Have a look at (broken link removed) . A mixture of olive oil, neem oil and grapefruit seed extract cleared up a fungal infection on Pumpkin's nose in a few days.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Mine has one and has had it for a very long time. We frequently take him to a trusted vet, and she says nothing about it. I don't believe it hurts him in any way.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.