Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Best use for area under wide loft?

Mama2piggies

Cavy Slave
My new covered 2x4 with a 2x2 loft from the guinea pig cages store arrived yesterday and my poor husband started to assemble it last night. I told him that I felt like a kid on Christmas morning when it arrived and after unboxing the parts he said he felt like a dad assembling toys at 3am on Christmas morning!lol It's almost finished, but we can't decide where to put the kitchen. Would it be better to put the kitchen under the loft or in an open area? One of my girls potties almost exclusively in the kitchen, so being able to slide a Coroplast kitchen out from underneath the loft is somewhat appealing. At the same time, the area under the loft seems a little dark - maybe a better place for their hideys and blankets? What has worked best for you and your piggies?

Traysea

Cavy Slave
It's easier to access if you do it up in the loft that also gives the most area for running. I have mine under the loft because a lot of my fleece was already 2x3 size so I could continue to use it without overlapping pads if I put my kitchen under the loft. I think they prefer it to be dark down there anyway because they like to hide. Mine are in the kitchen most of the time but still use their loft for snoozing. Technically it's a patio because it's only 7" above the ground floor. It is more of a pain to clean it out under the patio though because you need to take it all apart to clean it out. But I figure no matter what I am cleaning the cage anyway.
It's nice to have it on the bottom to hide all the poop though.

This is how mine is set up.
Please note: the ramp is always covered but I hadn't put the carpet back in before I took the photos. I would never let them use an uncovered ramp!

Best use for area under wide loft?

Best use for area under wide loft?

Attachments

1458429_10202345185288167_805194230_n.jpg

Mama2piggies

Cavy Slave
Your piggies look so sweet in the second photo! I hadn't thought about the loft hiding the mess in the kitchen, but that would definitely be a plus since we will be using fleece.

natsmom26

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Mine prefer to potty and sleep under the loft, so I have a corner litter box with fleece over carefresh and a hammock.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I love when I can catch them looking cute. It is a nice benefit. BTW, I use pine pellets. I can't stand using care fresh in the kitchen, they track it everywhere. If you are going to use care fresh maybe experiment with putting it in the loft area so that the ramp catches most of the mess. Also it's all modular so whatever you try you can change every time you clean your cage :O) No matter what some of it is going to get on the fleece but at least you will be cleaning up less poops!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.