Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Infected Spay Wound *Slightly Graphic*.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Recently, Meeka was spayed (Due to having Ovarian Cysts). For the first seven days after the spay, it was healing well. The wound site was clean and untouched. Tonight I checked the wound, it seems Meeka has started itching and picking at the stitches, it looks infected and a white cheese-like substance has been oozing out of the gash.
As it's night, no vets are currently open so we will be taking her tomorrow morning. Has anyone had any experience treating infected neuter wounds? What type of treatment methods will be used to treat it?

49cb691b-86ec-4026-b075-d21f89925038_zpse6adf851.jpg

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Take a damp wash cloth and wipe away the oozing stuff VERY gently. That way you get a better idea of what you're dealing with. It does need to be seen by a vet, and if it is oozing white cheese looking stuff then most like you're dealing with a staph infection. That would require antibiotics to heal it up. For now, clean it up with a damn cloth and keep her confined within easy reach so you can stop her from picking at it and make sure she has clean bedding.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I just though I would expand on aspecht's suggestion. You should use warm water to dampen the cloth, you can also try applying an antiseptic solution. This should help you until you can get her into the vet. The antiseptic I would recommend is the diluted povidone iodine (betadine) that is explained in the link below, assuming you have some on hand.

https://www.guinealynx.info/antiseptic_solutions.html

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I agree with you: vet first thing in the morning. Poor little girl, hope she starts feeling better soon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.