Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to cavy, please help with cage.

Beans

Cavy Slave
Hi all. Right now I have a store bought rabbit cage that my guinea is in. It is small. My guinea "Sonic" doesn't seem happy at all. Ive only had her about a week now, but she never comes out of her cardboard box. I place food in it so she will eat. I give her play time in the bathroom, and she just hides behind the toilet.

So Im hoping if I make her a bigger cage she will be happier, and maybe I than can get her a friend.

Heres my question about the cages. I have this stainless steel work table in my dining room. Its like a bar:
Well I was thinking about making a cage and placing it under this table where the wire storage buttom is. I measured it at 18x47. Is this to small? I was planning on making the cage 2 story, or having a loft with a ramp to it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
18 x 47 is a little bit too small I think. The length is great but the width is a little narrow. It might be okay though, just wait for others opinions. I think if you are going to get two instead of one though, you best make a bigger cage. Yes, she will be happier with another guinea pig. She is still very nervous of you that is why she's hiding. You have only had her a week, that is why. Guinea pigs are shy animals so you have to be patient. In a matter of time she will be taking food from your hand and wheeking to be held:cheerful:

pennick

Cavy Slave
Your length of 47" is fine for one piggy. Your width of 18" is way too small. 28" is the ideal size. Maybe you can place a board on top of the table instead. Underneath will make the cage dreary and dark and how would you get into it? Don't forget the cage would be even smaller if the bar measures 18x47 because you would have to fit the cage into that measurement. If you are planning on getting another piggy, then don't even think about your size for 2 piggies, then it should be 28 x 56. If you are going to build a C&C cage, you might as well do it right. Good Luck.

piggiepigs
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

happie gurl

Cavy Slave
I don't think you pig is nessesarly upset about the cage. Shes probably more upset about not haveing a companion. You should look into it.
Anyway, its great your making a C&C, youll have to post pictures when your done:heart:

Beans

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Unfortunalty I only have a one bedroom apartment. So space is limited. I want to give Sonic a friend and a bigger cage. I know this sounds bad but 30x50 sounds really big. I mean I'd love to give them 30x50, but I just don't have that room. I just thought I could use the space I had to make a bigger cage for Sonic. But I guess it's just to small?

Piggie Pigs: I named my guinea Sonic, because when I first held her in my hands at the petstore, I said you know, she looks kinda like Sonic the hedgehog. So the name stuck. How about you?

happie gurl: Once I make my c&c I will post pics, thanks alot for feedback.

myspolitpiggies: Your right, I think Sonic is scared of me, hopefully she will warm up to me soon!

Pennick: thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Everyone

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Beans,
I understand your space issues. Even though this is technically 'my' apartment, my roomie is not big on critters. I need her half of the rent you know? My guys ( 1 chin,1 pig, and 1 parakeet) are in my room. I just bought Polly Pig a Super Pet extra large and I made my chin, Buddy his multi level cage from two store bought cages I put together. See the photo in the cages for other animals gallery. I would love to get Polly a friend but I have no room for a larger cage. Good luck with your design.
Judy

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.