Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cage location?

Scooterpig

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I'm in the process of creating my newly enlarged cages and am thinking about where to put them. I am lucky enough to have a room I use as a library and that's where the cages are as I spend a lot of time in there.

It occurred to me today that there's a section of bare wall where one of the cages would fit nicely. However, it has an air return there for our heating/aircon. Is that likely to cause the piggies problems, or is it okay to place a cage in front of an air return? My plan is to build a low platform for the cage to sit on, off the floor.

Thanks!

technically the piggies aren't supposed to be in drafty areas :)

I know, I'm just not sure whether an air return creates a draught or not! I'm a Brit living in the US and I really don't understand how HVAC systems work. It would get the piggies further away from a floor vent which does blow air if it's ok to have them in front of the return.

You could always just cover the area right under the vent and they should be fine. Mine are under a vent and haven't had any problems with the cold air. That part of the cage is covered, the worse part is, they are under a vent that is right in front of a window. What a waste.

An air RETURN pulls the air back into the unit. It doesn't create a draft but should never be covered. Both of my cages are in front of air returns and I have no issues

Thanks, that's good to know. I am so looking forward to getting my gang into the newly enlarged cages. I'm planning on putting them on chunky Ikea desktops on casters to make the cleaning easier - at the moment they're on a carpeted floor - the pigs don't seem to mind but it doesn't make my life any easier! I just need to figure out how to make the tops work and I'll be good to go.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.