Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Gp owner, need help to know what proper bedding and accessories should be used!

Cometandkuza

Cavy Slave
I got my two baby's about a month ago. As soon as they were home we built them a larger cage, and went to cover the bottom with bedding. One 20$ bag of bedding barley coverd the bottom! I have a friend at the humane society that told me shredded paper works just as well, is this true?! Since I heard this I've been lining the cage with newspaper, then shredding tiny strips to put on the bottom of the cage. Both of them seem to like it just fine, I was just wondering if there were any risk factors?? As well as I bought a Hammock that they seem to love to sit in, but its lined with a weird fake fur/fuzz liner that I've caught them nibbling on a few times, could eating the fake fur/fuzz hurt them or mess with there digestive system?? Thank you very much for any advice!!

chas25

Cavy Slave
If they ate a whole bunch of the fuzz it might hurt them but a bit of nibbling shouldn't hurt. As for the bedding you'll find newspaper will stink more...my suggestion is fleece and you dont even have to know how to sew. get one or tow fleece blankets from walmart (they are only $2.88) and put them over top a couple layers of towels or uhaul moving blankets like this https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Protective-stuff/Furniture-Pad?id=2670
that's my suggestion

Cometandkuza

Cavy Slave
If they ate a whole bunch of the fuzz it might hurt them but a bit of nibbling shouldn't hurt. As for the bedding you'll find newspaper will stink more...my suggestion is fleece and you dont even have to know how to sew. get one or tow fleece blankets from walmart (they are only $2.88) and put them over top a couple layers of towels or uhaul moving blankets like this https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Protective-stuff/Furniture-Pad?id=2670
that's my suggestion

thank you very much, I had been thinkng about Fleece but i've never actually seen anyone use it. But I think it's definitely worth a try! thanks for taking the time to reply!

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
In my experience, shredded paper did an even worse job than wood shavings.
The acceptable bedding is Carefresh, wood pellets, Aspen shavings, kiln-dried pin shavings and fleece bedding. Many of us who own C&C cages find it more cost-efficient to use fleece bedding over disposable bedding.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
On the topic of nibbling fabric, my 1st pig ate a good deal of fleece. It didn't cause any issues. But to deter him, I wiped some white vinegar on the spots he chewed. The smell/taste deterred him away from chewing that spot. He soon stopped all chewing.

Cometandkuza

Cavy Slave
On the topic of nibbling fabric, my 1st pig ate a good deal of fleece. It didn't cause any issues. But to deter him, I wiped some white vinegar on the spots he chewed. The smell/taste deterred him away from chewing that spot. He soon stopped all chewing.
wow I never thought of that! thank you that's a great idea!

Cometandkuza

Cavy Slave
In my experience, shredded paper did an even worse job than wood shavings.
The acceptable bedding is Carefresh, wood pellets, Aspen shavings, kiln-dried pin shavings and fleece bedding. Many of us who own C&C cages find it more cost-efficient to use fleece bedding over disposable bedding.
Okay thank you, the cost was my biggest concern because the cage is so large it takes a lot of the carefresh bedding just to cover the whole bottom! i think i will definitely give fleece a try!

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Okay thank you, the cost was my biggest concern because the cage is so large it takes a lot of the carefresh bedding just to cover the whole bottom! i think i will definitely give fleece a try!

Purchasing the fleece and uhual pads is somewhat costly at 1st. But once everything is prepped and you start using it, it pays for itself after the 1st month. I went through my water/electric bill after the 1st year and found that I spent approx $50-60(both water/electric) in 1 year. I probably wouldn't see the extra cost if I stuffed the pig's bedding in with the dog's blankets/towels.

Cometandkuza

Cavy Slave
Purchasing the fleece and uhual pads is somewhat costly at 1st. But once everything is prepped and you start using it, it pays for itself after the 1st month. I went through my water/electric bill after the 1st year and found that I spent approx $50-60(both water/electric) in 1 year. I probably wouldn't see the extra cost if I stuffed the pig's bedding in with the dog's blankets/towels.
Alright thanks again! And I wouldn't mind to buy the fleece if it could be re-used instead of thrown away like the bedding every other day! It will most definitely save me money :) And I have a never ending supply of newspaper I could use instead of Uhaul pads under the fleece :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cometandkuza

Cavy Slave
Oh yeah, here's the thread that reviewed using fleece with Uhual pads. With my 1 pig, I can leave the same fleece/uhual bedding for atleast 2 weeks(husband went into the hospital for spine surgery) and it STILL had no smell!
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/58123-Review-UHaul-blanket

wow, thats along time for no smell! with the newspaper the day after I clean it, it begins to smell. I will check out the thread before I purchase the fleece! Thanks alot :)

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave

aspecht

Cavy Slave

For some reason, Niko LOVES vinegar! I don't quite understand it but if I wipe something with the vinegar before putting it into their cage (last night I wiped his food dish, but didn't realize the outside wasn't dried) he will lick it and lick it!

I LOVE fleece. Has definitely paid for itself, especially since I handwash it most of the time! It takes some work getting it cleaned handwashing it but it saves money!

New Gp owner, need help to know what proper bedding and accessories should be used!

My boys LOVE their fleece LOL!

Cometandkuza

Cavy Slave
For some reason, Niko LOVES vinegar! I don't quite understand it but if I wipe something with the vinegar before putting it into their cage (last night I wiped his food dish, but didn't realize the outside wasn't dried) he will lick it and lick it!

I LOVE fleece. Has definitely paid for itself, especially since I handwash it most of the time! It takes some work getting it cleaned handwashing it but it saves money!

View attachment 55026

My boys LOVE their fleece LOL!

Well If my boys are going to like the vinager it will kind of defeat the purpose! haha, but i guess i can only find out by trying it! When i clean there cage tonight I'll try putting the vinigar on the spots they nibble, and see if it works or they like it! And the fleece looks really nice in your cage, I can see you piggies definitely like it! thank you for all your help, I will be trying Fleece in my boys cage right away! :)

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I don't think all pigs will, worth a try for sure! I LOVE fleece like I said lol. Unfortunately, with boys you do have to clean a little more often, especially for the young ones. My younger two LOVE scent marking so it can get pretty stinky. My older two aren't so into it, but still do it occasionally.

Cometandkuza

Cavy Slave
I don't think all pigs will, worth a try for sure! I LOVE fleece like I said lol. Unfortunately, with boys you do have to clean a little more often, especially for the young ones. My younger two LOVE scent marking so it can get pretty stinky. My older two aren't so into it, but still do it occasionally.

Yah, i picked up on them liking to be stinky lol, I clean there cage at least every other day, completely, to try and get rid of the smell! I guess thats another reason fleece is a better option because you don't have to replace it every time you clean! thanks again!

aspecht

Cavy Slave
You're absolutely right! I can just take the fleece out, shake it then soak it in my bathtub when it gets stinky. I have four cages full of fleece and Uhaul pad right now, sometimes I go through all four in one week, other times I can go a month without having to wash any. Just depends on how much they scent mark. I also found that letting a fan blow into their corner helps the smell. It keeps air circulating to dry the fleece quicker, so the pee doesn't just sit there.

Cometandkuza

Cavy Slave
Four cages, wow! thats alot of work! And even if I had to do it once a week, that would be better then how often i have to clean it now! and thank you for the fan idea, that would probably help alot! lol

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
haha
I've never heard of any animal liking vinegar xD I give my dog white vinegar baths, but that's the only time she likes it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.