Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Moving Cage To Garage?

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
I have my guinea pigs in a tight situation right now. They are in a good sized cage (2x4 for my girls and a 2x4 for my boy), but they are stuck inside my closet. :( I would like to move them to the garage, but we don't have and AC in their. Temperatures here go up to to the late 80s. In the Winter, it goes down to the 50s. I really want opinions. I also want to do this, because I need my boy to get interaction, but I don't want my girls to get pregnant. Is it okay to put their cages next to each other with a divider, or would it be teasing my boy? Also, do you think it would be a bad idea to put them out their? I have lots of ideas to keep them cool and warm in the Summer and Winter, but I'm just not sure if it would be safe. Please help. I hate how their crammed in my room. THis is my idea. I just have the cage, but I will add the coroplast and stuff later! And my cage now.

Moving Cage To Garage?Now
Moving Cage To Garage?What I Want!

rainbowwriter77

Cavy Slave
I think it would be fine to have them in the garage. My girls are in my upstairs bed room that doesn't have ac. Where I live it gets in the hundreds and as low as the 40s. They are fine with a fan or frozen water bottles. If you can fit the new cage then go for it, try it out and see how your boy reacts. You may be able to put chloroplast up on the divider so your boy cant see the girls.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
I would say no. Way too many animals could get at them out there. People always say "Oh but it's secure! Nothing can get in." But I promise you they can. Squirrels, rats, mice, hell even snakes.

I would never risk it.

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
I follow by this, if its to cold for you, its to cold for them, if its to hot for you, to hot for them, Is it dusty? I know mine is a bit, or is the garage used as a extra living space? my pigs are in the closet as well, you just have it better c: Mine are on the floor with fleece lol, but I love your set up ^^''

pinky

Cavy Slave
They'll bake in the summer. I have a garage with no a/c and it's HOT in there in the summer. You'll also have flies and probably a lot of other bugs attracted them them. They're better off in the closet in the house.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's more than about the temperature. The cool temps are okay, providing drafts are minimized. If the washer/dryer is in the garage, then definitely no. Way too much fluctuation of humidity.

Also, garages tend to have chemical smells and outgassing of more exposed construction materials. The heat IS an issue. Anything over 85 and your pigs are in heat stroke danger. If it's not generally comfortable for you, it's not for them either and more uncomfortable with heat.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Personally I wouldn't move them into the garage, especially if there's no AC.
I believe 85 F is when they really run the risk of heat stroke, although I would never let it get to anything above 80.
Another reason why the garage isn't the best place to keep them, in my opinion, is because you'll be around them less so you may not notice subtle signs of illness.

As far as the way that you want to make their cages in the garage goes, males have been known to climb over the bars to get to the females when they really want to.
If you were to do a set up like that then I would recommend putting a lid over the males' cage. Closet shelving make pretty great lids.

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The high 80s are too hot, and the 50s are a little too cold. Guinea pigs (except for skinnies, which are a whole other ball game) do best at around 65-70 degrees. So the garage, as it stands, isn't a good place. Additionally, garages generally have more insects and vermin than houses do, so your pigs might be at risk for that.

But honestly, if you put them in the garage, you'll seldom see them. You'll go out to feed and water and change the cage, but you'll miss all the wonderful little interactions that make them such engaging pets. Can you not rearrange your room somehow to get the cage in there? There are a jillion cage pictures in the photo galleries, and people get really creative with them. Perhaps you could put your desk or dresser in the closet and the pigs in the room?

If you can't do that, then I'd rather see you rehome them to a good family than put them in the garage.

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
I agree it's not a good idea. Adding to the issued already raised, there would also be car fumes to contend with, so no I wouldn't put your piggies there. They need to be where you are fir most if the time. I'm sure you can get ideas from the gallery & from previous posts where people without much room have successfully included their piggies' homes.

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
I agree it's not a good idea. Adding to the issues already raised, there would also be car fumes to contend with, so no I wouldn't put your piggies there. They need to be where you are fir most if the time. I'm sure you can get ideas from the gallery & from previous posts where people without much room have successfully included their piggies' homes.

ThePigSlave

Cavy Slave
Why would your female guinea pig become pregnant from being moved into the garage? Am I missing something?
And agreed with everyone else here. Garages are generally a no-go.

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
I can have them in my room, but I would like a better place for them. If the garage is a no, then I will not do that. Sadly, I share a room with my brother and we have one of those rooms that are split up. We each have a bunk bed with a desk underneath, so I don't know how I could change the room around. We have three bedrooms and they are all used. My mom has a daycare, so anywhere but my room is ruled out. The daycare kids are allowed anywhere, but my room, the garage, and our shed. We are thinking of getting a new house soon though. Where I can have my own room! I don't know when though. I will probably have them kept where they are until we get a new house. Thank you for the help!

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
Why would your female guinea pig become pregnant from being moved into the garage? Am I missing something?
And agreed with everyone else here. Garages are generally a no-go.
I would have a divider in the middle so that he can't get to them. Sorry, I didn't explain that well. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You couldn't put the pigs under your bed and your desk in the closet?

natsmom26

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If you do end up putting them in the garage, please put a smoke detector out there. Most garages don't have one.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
There are quite a few folks who've put their cage under their bunkbed. There are photos around somewhere. A possibility. Otherwise, it sounds like you're kind of stuck with the current situation.

PrincessPiggy

Cavy Slave
I think everyone's made some pretty good points here about why NOT to keep piggies in the garage, but I'd just like to add that my garage is pretty much a finished room (insulation, drywall, whatever) and the vermin STILL manage to get in. Not just bugs and nasty spiders, but rats, mice, and even the occasional bird or squirrel that we have to chase out. Trust me, no matter how well a garage is finished, the critters will still manage to find a way in, and I doubt you want to walk in one morning to discover that your piggies have a new rat houseguest.

As far as putting the male's cage next to the females' (if you figure out a place to do that), be sure to put a top on the male's half of the cage that borders the females'. Some determined boars have been known to scramble over the grids to get to the girls.

lissie

Cavy Slave
What's wrong with the cage the way it is? If the closet is left open at all times, I don't see an issue with it. It's no different than tucking the cage in a nook, with walls on the sides and back.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.