Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Newbie needs help thinking through cage design, long!

schmellie

Cavy Slave
We are new owners of Chrysanthemum and BJ, adopted from a local rescue last Saturday. I've been on this site since April researching about guinea pigs.

I used wood shaving that the rescue gave me for about four days before I was able to switch to fleece on Wednesday.

I have a 2x4 with a 1x2 kitchen.

I put a sheet on top of the kitchen area so they feel a little more protected in that area, as opposed to being open. In the kitchen, I have shavings, though I was thinking of using Carefresh. I have a pigaloo and a grass hut in the corners opposite the kitchen.

Here is my dilemma - they really like to poop in their hiding spots. I think it's because they spent the first four days in our house hiding in them. For the past few days, most of the poop has been in the two hide outs, and only a little in the kitchen area.

Question #1: Can I just use fleece in the kitchen area? Do I *need* disposable bedding in the kitchen area? Do I even need a separate kitchen area since they aren't pooping in that area? Should I just remove the kitchen area in just keep the food to that side? (One day, if I feel up to it, I might add a 2nd floor kitchen - so I'd keep the coroplast kitchen aside when/if that day comes.)

Quesiton #2: Should I use disposable bedding under the pigaloo instead. I was thinking of putting pigaloo and bedding in a low cardboard box (like what you get at Costco). They move the pigaloo around, so I was thinking the cardboard box would help keep it in place.

Thoughts? Thanks for any advice you can give!

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
1: You can do whatever you want anywhere in the cage but 99% of people use disposable in the kitchen because that is where most pee n poo goes. In YOUR case, I would put their hideys in mini-litter boxes (saves your fleece from becoming dirty so fast. Hay sticks to fleece really badly so if you have the hayrack in the kitchen, keep disposable. I use shredded paper because I can get it free and just replace it daily.

2: Get rubbermaid food-saver dishes/tubs in the right size and cut a "doorway" for ease of access. Don't use a cardboard box underneath because it will get ruined pretty quickly. Plastic means you can clean it out, scrub it, REUSE it.

Also, I put a flowerpot on top of my hidey so they can't move it :) Too heavy! Baha! Outsmart the piggerts!!

schmellie

Cavy Slave
1: You can do whatever you want anywhere in the cage but 99% of people use disposable in the kitchen because that is where most pee n poo goes. In YOUR case, I would put their hideys in mini-litter boxes (saves your fleece from becoming dirty so fast. Hay sticks to fleece really badly so if you have the hayrack in the kitchen, keep disposable. I use shredded paper because I can get it free and just replace it daily.

2: Get rubbermaid food-saver dishes/tubs in the right size and cut a "doorway" for ease of access. Don't use a cardboard box underneath because it will get ruined pretty quickly. Plastic means you can clean it out, scrub it, REUSE it.

Also, I put a flowerpot on top of my hidey so they can't move it :) Too heavy! Baha! Outsmart the piggerts!!

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll stick with disposable bedding in the kitchen area since I have a hay bin and rack and hay does get all over the place.

OK - will look for a plastic bin for the pigaloo - But I think I'll use my box in the meantime and fill it well with newpaper & hay and just refresh more often til I can find an appropriate sized plastic tub. Thanks!

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
Seems like a winning idea!

chas25

Cavy Slave
I have little beds that I keep in my hideys which help with the poop (though my piggies also like to hide under the beds and not just on top)

schmellie

Cavy Slave
What kind of beds? Fleece beds?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.