Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury This wasnt there a few days ago

LithiumRiot

Cavy Slave
So I noticed Lucy's rump looked a bit dirty. She's large and sometimes has a bit of trouble cleaning herself so this isnt too abnormal. After that I decided to check everything out as I do every few days with the girls to make sure she's okay. There's some hair loss right above her lady bits and it looks sore.

This wasnt there a few days ago

(Sorry it's so large. It wont let me make it smaller)

The "dirt" on it, is actually some scabby thing. Although her foot is a bit dirty. Any ideas as to what's going on?

I can't see the picture at all.

Is the sore on her back or her tummy? If it's on her back, right above where her tail would be if she had a tail, it's probably the grease gland. Some pigs' glands are more active than others, but a good shampooing should take care of it. Or you can use a drop of Dawn dish soap on it to get it clean, just rinse it very well if you do.

If it's on her tummy, I'd have to see a picture to hazard as guess as to what it could be.

Is the picture not showing up? Cause I can try to add it again.

It's on her tummy, right above her "lady bits".

Still no picture. Sorry.

Since the forum isnt letting me put the pic up for some reason. I put it on tinypic

(broken link removed) That's it.

That looks like it needs to be checked out by a vet as soon as possible.

I would definitely bathe it gently and see if cleaning it up will help. If it looks red and raw, you do probably need a vet. Unfortunately, you can't just put something like an antibiotic cream on it, because the pig will lick it off.

Keep us posted.

Yeah, it's raw to the point where if I touch it at all she squeaks really loudly.
I was trying to avoid going to the vet, but oh well. Gotta do what I gotta do.

And I just found blood stains on the fleece so it looks like it started out as a wound of sorts. Ah. Okay. Vet appointment making time. Thank you!

Is this on her belly? Because it looks a lot like Urine Scald, which can happen with UTI's (would also explain the blood).

It's like JUST above her lady bits.
Ahh. Im hoping it's not a UTI. My poor girlies are having lots of medical issues lately.
Calling for the vet in the morning. Which is like....in 5 hours

EDIT: Just looked at Guinea Lynx's page on Urine Scald. Looks almost exactly like it. It *does* say it can happen because of old age and decrease of mobility. She *is* fat and old. But. Also. if chance of UTI, im taking her to the vet.

Okay, in the meantime (just to make her a little more comfortable), wash the area with some lukewarm water. Use cotton balls and gently dab at the area, do not rub or press hard on the area at all as the skin is very tender.

Make sure she is in a completely clean cage, with fresh beds etc. If the beds become soiled you'll need to switch them out often.

Is this on her belly? Because it looks a lot like Urine Scald, which can happen with UTI's (would also explain the blood).

This is what I was thinking as well. I've seen this happen to animals in the shelter when their cages haven't been properly cleaned. (Not saying that is what happened! Just using the reference!) If it was a UTI, then that would explain it.

Vet says it's a UTI.
The vet said to give her the Baytril (which I have in my fridge). I have two questions:

1) It's not said Baytril is used for UTI's, would this be okay?
2) The expiration date on the baytril in my fridge is a month past, the vet said this shouldn't be too much of an issue but I want to make sure before giving it to her. Should I get more?

Hmm, tbh I wouldn't use it. Bactrim is a better antibiotic to use on UTI's in my opinion. You'll need to give a probiotic as well, as antibiotics can cause digestive upset.

To treat the Urine Scald you need to wash the area with lukewarm water, then dab on a little betadine/water mix (about 50/50) this will help kill any bacteria on the skin. Let that dry then use a tiny, tiny amount of nappy rash cream. Do this twice a day, but only use the cream once a day (guinea pigs do groom themselves). You should start to see improvements within a day.

You can read more about UTI's and their treatment here.
https://www.guinealynx.info/urine_scald.html

Yeah, I looked at that cause I was suspicious about the baytril. Ah. Okay. Gonna ask the vet for Bactrim and a probiotic then. He's used to me correcting things he does thanks to this forum so hopefully he wont get mad and refuse o_O (I should get a new vet)

I've been cleaning it daily (she gets so dirty) and using a bit of rash cream on it.

Is there anything I can do for pain? She's making god awful noises, and I think she hurts :/

She's also not eating or drinking much at all. I syringed her a bit of water but she wouldnt take any pellets. A UTI usually doesnt affect eating or drinking does it?

Is there anything I can do for pain? She's making god awful noises, and I think she hurts :/

She's also not eating or drinking much at all. I syringed her a bit of water but she wouldnt take any pellets. A UTI usually doesnt affect eating or drinking does it?

If she's in pain, then it can certainly put them off food. I'd get some Critical Care, just to help her a bit. Make sure the probiotic is safe for vegan animals (I used a human one, it was dairy free as well and you just mixed it with water.) For pain, try asking the vet for a low dose of Metacam, be warned though that can put them off food so...it's a bit of a toss up.

Lucy has stopped eating and drinking all together.
I'm syringing her a pellet slurry and some water. But how much should I be giving her?

I'll be getting critical care and calling my vet tomorrow.

Lucy has made a full recovery. She's eating well and is very lively, there is no blood in her urine anymore and we are in the process of reintroducing her to Sweetie Belle, which is going pretty well :D

Thanks to everyone who helped!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.