Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Coughing Guineapig eye?

Beckypiggie

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I am a new guineapig owner and new here to the forums! So I bought my little 1 month old piggie (male) yesterday and today i've notices his eye
is like crusty or i dont really know how to describe it :/ I got a Q tip with warm water and cleaned his eye :/ help! i've also heard him sneezing alot but theres no discharge.help!

Rhyue

Cavy Slave
Sounds like he likely has a upper respiratory infection (URI), its common to buy a sick animal from a pet store due to the conditions they keep them in.

Unfortunately URIs are incredibly serious in GPs and can very easily be fatal (high chance without vet care). If he's showing symptoms like that he needs to be seen by a vet IMMEDIATELY. It cannot wait till monday, he could very well die by then. GPs go downhill very fast, especially after showing symptoms.

Also try to find an exotic vet, not just a cat/dog vet since they're not as knowledgeable and may try to prescribe dangerous antibiotics (fine for cats/dogs deadly ot GPs). They simply don't get the training. (https://www.guinealynx.info/dangerous_medications.html is a link of dangerous meds as well as info on another page about URIs).

Best of luck to you and your little boy.

Last edited:

GoldieBrodiexx

Cavy Slave
First of all, welcome to you and your piggie!

If you bought him from a pet shop then with the symptoms you're describing he could well have a URI. Pet stores are notorious for selling sick, pregnant or missexed pigs, just one of the many reasons we don't support them here.

Pigs don't need to have all the signs of a URI to have one, I suggest you find a good exotics vet (not an ordinary dog or cat one) as this can be very serious. If you don't know of one you can check the vets tab at the top of the page. He does need to go to the vets ASAP though, guinea pigs are very good at hiding the fact that they're ill and once you notice they can go downhill extremely fast.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.