Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

An adventure in guinea pigs.

Pam McLean

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! I have, well my son has, 2 new piggies - Scruff and Murphy. Adorable abyssinian tricolors. (pics to follow).
Please forgive my ignorant, yet well intentioned, bumble into the land of piggies and look to the heart of the matter - I need help.

We decided my son was ready to have his own pet as he's very responsible and of course Mom would help. He has done a ton of research and we both have learned so much - but not enough!

I was unable to build a c&c cage, therefore we purchased a ready assembled living world cage that is approximately 4'x2' ( with plans for an exercise pen in the future!) and brought home two eight week old brothers. It was instant love and they are taming so quickly.

For a school project my son was researching deeper about piggies not just caring for them - history, sounds, etc. Ours were making a sound that we couldn't find online - until we saw a video that included mating! Wow - I jumped on the computer and looked up how to sex them myself. I was stupid to trust another! Yup, Murphy is a girl! Panic! My son was too attached already to part with either so I was off to get another cage as soon as they opened the next day. I did witness them in the act before acquiring the new cage.

Now I have 2 giant cages with 2 single guinea pigs which will turn out to be a boy cage and a girl cage. I assumed the chances that Murphy is pregnant are fairly high as she has been housed with males before we got her as well - they thought she was a boy! Now the waiting and praying she has a safe pregnancy and birthing. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated, we are researching this deeper and becoming more worried for her. She's only 2 months old! I'm sure I'll be reading many posts as well as asking many questions over the next 3 months or so.

Trust is greatly diminished in the establishment where we acquired our piggies - nothing is more evil than deceiving a child and my eight year old is innocently spreading the word.

We are lucky our piggies are healthy. Why aren't these breeders, mills, and mostly DISTRIBUTORS and stores in the news and shut down like puppy mills! If it became illegal for the distributors to deal in live animals the the stores would loose a majority of their supply and the breeders and mills would loose their biggest buyers - just a thought. Educating the public is difficult - even those who WANT to learn. Like myself - we learned how to care for them, what they needed, what was required of us to keep them healthy and happy and that's all. Not about nasty breeders and stores, not even about how they eat them in south america - till he did his school project.

I'm sorry for the ramble! wow lol. Ok thank you for reading, thanks for this site and forum!

Welcome to the forum!

Pet stores and breeders are notorious for miss-sexing pigs, you might want to head over to Guinea Lynx and read up on pregnancies (https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html).
It sounds like you have had a rough start into the piggy world. I'd love to see some pigtures, I adore Abbies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.