Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

combine coroplast to make cage?

popsicletoes

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

I'm from Singapore and unfortunately they don't sell coroplast in 4 x 8 foot sheets. More like half of that - 2 x 4 foot per sheet.

I'm wondering is it possible to still make a cage of my guinea pig (just one) by combining both sheets together? (ie. make 3 walls on each sheet and combine them in the middle?) I really want my piggy to be happy in a bigger cage than what he's in now :)

Coroplast/Cage experts please help!

Thanks,

Denise

Cavy Slave
Yes, it's possible to connect mulitple pieces of coroplast together. You just have to use a good, waterproof tape to do it. Shipping/packing tape, Duct Tape work very well. I used colored Duct Tape to connect mine with no leakage so far!

piggiepigs
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

popsicletoes

Cavy Slave
thanks for the help! just bought the duct tape and will be building piggy's cage tomorrow! lol

one question though... do you just connect the sides together? or do you overlap the two pieces at the middle so that it's stronger? kinda worried that the connecting area might be a little weak...

laura220

Cavy Slave
It's best to tape the sheets together before hand and then cut. They may come out different sizes so you wouldn't want to waste so much coroplast. I don't think you need to overlap anything. Just tape together the pieces side by side.

popsicletoes

Cavy Slave
thanks all! just finished building my cage and Freeze is so happy! he actually pointed his nose up, gave the new cage a whiff, and started to walk round the entire perimeter of the cage! sorta like a guard checking out his surroundings hehe. never seen him so happy :love:

wondering about the cubes though. they don't sell them in singapore. And the hardware stores around here don't sell the alternatives listed on this site also. Is it possible to use that plastic mesh that they sell in a roll? wondering if i could use that with cable ties for the cage.

Thanks all,

aqh88

Cavy Slave
With nothing between the pigs and the mesh it's too tempting to chew on. It works on the outside of the grids but mine made several large holes while I was attaching it to the grids and holding the mesh up to cut or when an excess piece would fall in the cage. The aluminum mesh if you have it might work and you could use pvc pipe or wood for a frame or just get hardware cloth. It's a heavier metal mesh(usually steel) and fasten it to the pvc pipe or wood frame. With the hardware cloth make sure there are no sharp ends sticking up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.