Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Don't Judge Me! Store Bought Cage..

GrinnyPigs

Cavy Slave
So after a lot of discussion with my OH & research into C&C cages, we decided to go with a store bought cage.

I noted that a 2x4 C&C would be similar dimensions to a 150cm cage - so that's what I've gone for.

Reasons being that:
1) it will be on top of a desk, but with overhanging edges & the store bought cage will be sturdier for that.
2) I am VERY clumsy (due to car accident a year ago) so if I bump into the C&C cage, it's likely to fall.. Whereas I regularly bump into my buns store bought cage & it barely moves. Lol. Obviously it's not a habit, but was something to bear in mind.
3) Offers better protection from our dog
4) Easier to move around by myself & to clean while on the desk :)

I hope no one judges me :( We are looking to move to a larger home in the future & will get them a C&C cage then - when they can have their own room! Door closed means dog can't bother them :) Plus at the moment I can only really give them a 2x4 so with the dimensions matching, it should be ok :)

The cage comes with a wire shelf though, I've seen some great adaptations with correx (?) to line that though to protect their feet. My rabbit's cage came with the same shelf & I just took it out! I'll probably line the piggies so they can use it if they want to.

The new cage is 150cmx74cm. That should be ok for 3 sows, right? :)

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Could you please post a picture of this cage?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's about 12.5 square feet. It should be ok.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
That is a few centimeters to small, for three sows it should be 157x76. I wouldn't stress.

lissie

Cavy Slave
The new cage is 150cmx74cm. That should be ok for 3 sows, right? :)

Did you already buy the cage? If not, can you go with a 160cm cage instead?
(broken link removed)

It will provide a bit more space than a 150cm cage.

When you calculate the space, you have to see the internal space, not the overall. Most pet store cages are slanted at the base, leaving less living space.

GrinnyPigs

Cavy Slave
Could you please post a picture of this cage?

Not at the moment.. The place I bought it from has a stock photo which is the same for the 100cm, 120cm & 150cm cage. In the photo it looks absolutely tiny - but then my rabbit is in one only slightly larger & his is massive!

This is the cage: Rabbit 150 Indoor Cage » Product » Dabners Pet Shop

Their hutch is currently 152cmx61cm so this new cage is a little wider :) There's been no problems so far with dominance *touch wood* but I will definitely keep an eye out. If I see any problems then I will look into getting a larger cage :/ I'm hoping there aren't any problems though because I've no idea where we'd put anything larger!

The place that I've bought it from had it really cheap.. I was looking at a pre-made C&C cage anyway which ended up being a similar price in the end as I'm not very good with measurements & whatnot. I had a horrible feeling I would mess up the scoring & it would be a disaster!!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
If the C&C was premade, it should have came with the coro scored. I know the feeling about worrying about cutting the coro. As long as the measurements are the same or close enough, don't worry about what kind of cage it is. It's not tiny and that is all that matters.

GrinnyPigs

Cavy Slave
yeah, it was going to come all pre-scored. But once I'd seen the price of a 2x4 with grids on the base (to make it stronger), plus a loft - it was going to be around £80! The cage I bought was £90 so it's not a massive difference really.

I'm glad it's not going to be way too small & I really appreciate any concern showed regarding the size. They will be kept in the bedroom so I will notice any problems right away. It'll be better for them in the house than outside :) I'll feel so much better once they're indoors!

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
It looks as it would be okay. Maybe later on you could get those wood stairs, and attach a play pen to it? That would give them more room. Good luck :)

GrinnyPigs

Cavy Slave
It looks as it would be okay. Maybe later on you could get those wood stairs, and attach a play pen to it? That would give them more room. Good luck :)

Wood stairs? Where would I get them from? They will still get playtime outside of their cage for about an hour or two a day - Although at the moment that means hiding & eating veggies/hay in a playpen! Lol.

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Wood stairs? Where would I get them from? They will still get playtime outside of their cage for about an hour or two a day - Although at the moment that means hiding & eating veggies/hay in a playpen! Lol.

Let me see if I can find a picture : )

Still looking for a picture, but many people use these (broken link removed) and put them to connect either two cages, or two pet store cages. You could use it to connect the cage + a playpen.

Last edited:

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
heres a picture showing another one (broken link removed)

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
You can also get small plateaus that you can attach to the bars of the cage, like this one from Ferplast

(broken link removed)

google it as a Ferplast Corner Shelf

GrinnyPigs

Cavy Slave
heres a picture showing another one (broken link removed)

Oh yes, I know what you mean now! They've got one in their hutch atm & my rabbit has got a giant one in his :)

You can also get small plateaus that you can attach to the bars of the cage, like this one from Ferplast

(broken link removed)

I do like that.. If I can't sort out the wire shelf that comes with the cage then I will look into getting something like that, even if it just adds hiding spaces!

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Yes :) there quite nice for connecting cages. Quick question, does your rabbit chew on it? I will be getting more rabbits soon & i'm not sure what toys to get them..

GrinnyPigs

Cavy Slave
Yes :) there quite nice for connecting cages. Quick question, does your rabbit chew on it? I will be getting more rabbits soon & i'm not sure what toys to get them..

Nope.. He scent marks it, hides under it & jumps on it though :) I've not seen a rabbit yet that chews on them to be honest! He (& my late bun, Frasier) adore the willow and wicker type balls & baskets :D I put forage hay in the basket & that gets him chewing the basket.

I would still buy the stairs/bridge just because it give them something to hide under & jump on :)

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Nope.. He scent marks it, hides under it & jumps on it though :) I've not seen a rabbit yet that chews on them to be honest! He (& my late bun, Frasier) adore the willow and wicker type balls & baskets :D I put forage hay in the basket & that gets him chewing the basket.

I would still buy the stairs/bridge just because it give them something to hide under & jump on :)

Oh okay, I just started to build the base of my cage, but once it's finished I'm headed to PetSmart ; )

GrinnyPigs

Cavy Slave
Wanted to do a quick update.. The new cage arrived today :D It is huge! The girls are all so happy & have really come out of their shells.. I expected them to hide & be frightened, but they love it! They've been exploring & are now having veggies. Marble & Mocha popcorned a few minutes ago! It was the first time I'd ever seen them do it! And after only 5 minutes of being in the new cage! It's amazing. They'd not popcorned once in their hutch & spent most of their time in the bedroom. I'm so pleased I brought them indoors! :D

Mr.Waffles101

Cavy Slave
Be sure to post a picture when you're all done, please. :) I'm trying to convice my mom about a C&C (my idea is over my desk, too!) and so far, I can't figure out how to explain it to her about the desk. Maybe pics would help. :D

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.