Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Extending a small cage

Mercedes

Cavy Slave
Hey y'all!

I'm writing this for the second time as the tab on which I had this disappeared! o:

Anyhow...

Since the new addition to our family has arrived I have been wanting to extend the cage which is around 55cmx100cm(it was the biggest I could afford when I first bought the cage for one guinea pig) and I'm a bit unsure on how I can do that. Any ideas?

Here is the cage(I took out all accessories + the hammock to make it look like its real size)

IMG_20130416_183448.jpgIMG_20130416_183502.jpgIMG_20130416_183518.jpgIMG_20130416_183525.jpg

Thanks guys! I really want to make the cage bigger. The two boys seem to be okay with the size and they are taken out quite often, but I feel they definitely need something bigger than that!

(Also, their cage was cleaned two days ago. It looks like a mess xD)

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Could you buy grids an coroplast to make a C&C cage? Even just popping out the door of the cage to make a ramp that connects both cages could help.

Mercedes

Cavy Slave
Thing is, you can't buy supplies for C&C cages anywhere around here and my dad wouldn't buy online :/ So I have to think of other ways.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
You can go to a hardware store and buy closet shelves. Those work jut as well as the grids. And you can also use a shower curtain as the coroplast.

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave
I found (VERY expensive) cubes are Petco. $35 per pack, and two packs are needed for adequate size.
You can also use a playpen as a cage.
Wire shelving units work very well.

Do they get floor time? How much?

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
526964_10151589036163627_1589810537_n.jpgi built my cage out of playpen parts, and some petstores sell them as cheap as $10 for 8 panels according to someone's recent post.
some people combine the old pet cage to use as a kitchen and put little ramps to extend to the outside area which is closed off with either cube grids, closet shelves or playpens :)

Mercedes

Cavy Slave
Do they get floor time? How much?

Every morning for an hour before I go to school and an hour when I come back, then a quick 30 minutes to an hour in the evening if they feel like it. (And they let me know when they don't, it's really cute actually! I'll have to record it.)

@Varcoda I absolutely love your cage. Is it possible to make one similar to that that would be extremely secure and with a lid? I have to keep my babies safe from my dog.

Hmmm... Would it be possible to buy another cage like the one I have now and somehow put them together?

BNCavy91

Cavy Slave
Every morning for an hour before I go to school and an hour when I come back, then a quick 30 minutes to an hour in the evening if they feel like it. (And they let me know when they don't, it's really cute actually! I'll have to record it.)

@Varcoda I absolutely love your cage. Is it possible to make one similar to that that would be extremely secure and with a lid? I have to keep my babies safe from my dog.

Hmmm... Would it be possible to buy another cage like the one I have now and somehow put them together?

I put my 2 pet sotre cages together ( I had the extra one for quarantine) and put a ramp between them, with a cover over it ( kind of like a tunnel). But I just ungraded again to a C&C, which was paid for by selling the 2 combined cages separately. =)

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
thank you, i put hours of work into it! :D

i used quite a few cable ties and they made the cage very secure i can lean on it and clean:) it will be more secure if you have just a single floor though! i have a cat, so the cage is fully covered. in that picture i opened the areas to show the cage better. if your dog is smart enough to lift a lid, you might want to secure it with a peg or ribbon.

it's best not to buy another pet store cage to put together, piggies need the length to run. https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-cages/82664-can-you-extend-store-cage.html you can find nice examples here! :D

Mercedes

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the link! :) I'll go through the full thread later on. I like the idea of a two/three story cage... Perhaps I could see if I can get things similar to C&C.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
you're most welcome :) just note that depending on the type of material you end up using, you might need support under the second floor. some use another panel/grid, others use thin metal rods or slim wooden beams, or pipes.

Mercedes

Cavy Slave
Okay, thanks for the warning :) I'll probably have to get my dad to do all of that, I'm no good at building and fixing these things haha :p

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
@Mercedes I'm in the UK and bought my grids off here: (broken link removed)
They also deliver to Ireland. If you need any more supplies/help, feel free to ask!

Mercedes

Cavy Slave
@Mercedes I'm in the UK and bought my grids off here: (broken link removed)
They also deliver to Ireland. If you need any more supplies/help, feel free to ask!

How much did you pay for shipping if you don't mind me asking?

And yeah I was thinking of making a loft, I'll see if I have any materials to make one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.