Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Getting ready to make the switch to fleece... Anything I should remember?

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
Heya guys!
Remember me? I've been on an almost year-long hiatus but alas, my life has calmed down and here I am again :)
I've had my two little ladies, Radley and Olive, on Carefresh for the past few months. While I do like that it is low maintenance and doesn't require daily grooming with the vacuum, I'm finding it expensive to keep paying to fill the girls 2x4 C&C. Also, it gets messy looking by the time cleaning day comes around!
Here's their cage right now:
Getting ready to make the switch to fleece... Anything I should remember?

It's MESSY. There really isn't that much poo in it because I cleaned it a week ago, but their hay gets sooo messy and I can't handle it. I don't like using hay racks or grids to maintain their hay because it's more natural for them to graze, lay and roll around in the hay. Even if it does mean I have to buy hay more than I should because they do their business on it...

So, my plan is to construct a 2x1 coro tray the same height as their containing tray to place inside the cage where Miss Olive is now to serve as a little kitchen . It would be filled with shavings and would contain hay and pellets while the rest of the cage is fleece, with a little section cut out for them to get in and out. I hope this is making sense, hehe.

The part with the fleece draped atop will be replaced by two grids of fleece forest. I hope they like them!

Here's the fleece I'm using:
Leopard is gonna make the poos hard to see but it's so fabulous I couldn't resist, hehe.

Any suggestions for other things I could improve upon, or ideas for new hideys? Oh and please include pictures of your cages for inspiration.
Thanks!!

Oh, and here's a few pictures of the ladies cause I can't resist their cuteness ❤️
^ Radley!
^ Olive!
^ Olive and I in some morning cuddles yesterday :love:

Thanks for your feedback! :)

Last edited:
hay on fleece is a really annoying thing to clean, so i not only built a kitchen, i put it on the second floor. any hay that falls to the first floor is easily picked up, plus the girls don't seem to be dragging hay out too much now that it's up there! :D (this is an older pic, the hay box on the first floor is now purely a litter box!) do note that fleece requires daily poop-picking !
beautiful shots of your piggies :)

only a few things to remember. wash it a few times before use so it's wicking abilities will be viable (you also want to wait til after you wash it those few times to do any cutting if necessary). you'll need a couple layers of absorbent material under your fleece, whether it be a couple layers of uhaul furniture padding (one $8 pad will give you more than enough for 2 layers worth for your cage and then some) or a couple of towels. the fleece just brings the moisture down to the absorbent layers and keeps the piglets dry, it doesn't really do anything outside of that except look really pretty. i find that using hay bags keep my fleece cleaner (from the hay) than it would be vs not having them. and in the future, if you have the funds, hand vacuums are AMAZING! one of the best investments i've made. it sounds like a lot of trouble, but it's SO cute, the piglets love it, and it seriously beats buying carefresh every week - my cages are way too big to do that. i just vacuum once daily, twice if i have time, and i do piggy laundry once a week. :)

oh, and no fabric softener when washing your fleece!

I think you'll really like the fleece! I went the fleece route about two weeks after getting my Lemmiwinks, and I wouldn't go back. Having a little kitchen area for them really cuts down on the mess on the fleece and besides daily sweeps of the poos, there isn't much else that you need to do constantly. Just make sure you have a good absorbent layer or two under the fleece so that any pee isn't just sitting on the coroplast until your next clean-up. Fleece looks so nice and you can do all sorts of cute things with it :) You should post pics when you're all set up!

Alrighty, well I got the ladies' pad all set up! I'm so excited! They absolutely adore it. I keep seeing piggies passed out all over the place, instead of only under hideys. I still have to get a uHaul pad because none of the dealers here seem to sell them, which is odd. But, who knows! I'll try ordering one online tomorrow.

Here's some pics!

I want to add a second level but unfortunately the grids I'll be using are unavailable... Because I lost the key to the shed they're in. Whoops. Time to call the landlord :silly:.

I plan to just shift their kitchen pan up a level onto the future second level when I regain access. That will give them their full 2x4 running space back. I love seeing the girls lounge all over the fleece, in fact it makes me feel a little bad for switching them off of it in the first place. I have a small hand-vac, so it's really not a problem to pick up after them once or twice a day. I just have to be disciplined!

What do you guys think? :)

It looks great, and I love the fleece choice! Olive looks adorable with her little feet sticking out. She looks extremely comfy!

looks good. olive is straight chillin' XD

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.