Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New mom to a piggy:)

Kelsmo

Cavy Slave
I got Gus about a month ago, I rescued him! I had guinea pigs before when I was younger, but Gus is a little more high maintenance than they were. The lady that had him put him out in the cold to die and I got him from her. Shortly after he had to make a trip to the doctor and he has had to have shots and medicine:( I let him exercise and give him fruits and veggies, but I could always use more tips please and thank you:)

Razzle

Cavy Slave
Welcome and thanks for giving Gus a safe and loving home.

Razzle

Cavy Slave
This is a great place to learn about piggies. Unlimited Timothy Hay is a must. Gus is a lucky fellow to have found his way to you.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Woah, what "shots" did the vet give him? Guinea pigs do not need shots.

theguineapigguy

Cavy Slave
I didnt think Guinea pigs are supposed to have shots what so ever? Did you take him to a cavy savvy vet? Surely he didnt get shots...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I assume that the shots were actually antibiotics and not any kind of vaccines? If you vet vaccinated him, you need a new vet ASAP.

Read the diet and nutrition stickies for what you should feed him -- mostly long strand grass hay and veggies, and some pellets. There are some good articles at Guinea Pig Education, Care, Rescue and Adoption at Cavy Spirit on guinea pig care. See the Main tab above for information about cages and how much room piggies need.

Good luck to you, and thanks for taking this little guy in. We'd love to see a picture.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.