Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I'm new to this and have a few questions, about if my Guinea Pig is happy or not?(:

iiJoeWeeii

Cavy Slave
Hello, everyone! I just wanted to see the BEST ways to know if my guinea pig is happy or not. I've had him for about a week now,and he's been acting pretty happy to me. But sometimes he just runs away or hides in his cardboard tunnel. Whenever I try to come in and talk to him. So I just wanted a few pointers on how to get him to love me. And Wheek when I come on the room.:)

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome!
One thing to do is just sit by the cage and talk quietly to him, and he'll come out and do his normal thing. Another pig is the best way for pigs to be happy, a win-win thing! A big cage is next on the list, being held, having veggies and floor time are next! :)
My pigs have been with me about 6 months now, and sometimes still scuttle away into a hidey, but when I kneel and look into the cage, the are bold and happy and stiff my nose.
Popcorning tells you if they are happy, it s a moving in which the pig jumps into the air and kind of twists, it looks like popcorn popping since they do it so fast and at unexpected moments!

Welcome again and We'd love to see some pigtures of your buddy! What's his name? :)

bubblepig

Cavy Slave
Since @Gforcepiggies already mentioned some bonding ways,I have some other things to mention. :)
Unless he prefers being a loner,(not accepting ANY other pigs) you could get him a friend? Pigs are herd animals and do not exactly bond with humans the same way a dog,cat,or horse would do. You could also get hima C&C cage. Do show us pigtures of your furry friend!

Rach84

Cavy Slave
To help with stopping him running to hide when you go in the room I talk to mine as I walk upstairs so they can hear me coming! Yes this makes me sound mad but this way by the time I am in the room they are busy smelling the air to see what food I brought them! Lol xx

iiJoeWeeii

Cavy Slave
@Gforcepiggies @bubblepig I'm new to this and have a few questions, about if my Guinea Pig is happy or not?(:

And thanks a bunch for the help! I'm getting a him a new piggie HOPEFULLY next week. And I'm also getting a C&C cage later on down the road!lol

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
He is adorable!!!! I love his little love eyes!

Aleks

Cavy Slave
@Gforcepiggies @bubblepig View attachment 44736

And thanks a bunch for the help! I'm getting a him a new piggie HOPEFULLY next week. And I'm also getting a C&C cage later on down the road!lol

Make sure that the friend you get him is also a boy (and check the sex of your current one, just to be safe. :)
https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html

You'll also need to quarantine the new piggy for 2-3 weeks in a different room to make sure he isn't sick or has any parasites before introducing them.
https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/parasites.html

And when you do introduce them, make sure it's on neutral territory. Guinea Pigs Social Life

Since you'll be getting them a C&C I recommend making it either a 2x5 or a 2x6 for 2 boars. They tend to need more room than females do and the extra room usually helps a lot when they're sorting out dominance.
Hope this helps a little. :)

Also, your piggy is SUPER cute!

svillemomof4

Cavy Slave
He is so flipping cute! I could just eat him up! :) Not really, I wouldn't eat him :p but he is just so dang cute! He looks like he is just posing for the camera, ready for his photoshoot! Lol!! Best of luck getting his new buddy! I hope they get along great!

jasperpatches

Cavy Slave
Hello, how beautiful?? cant wait to see him with his new friend and look forward to hearing how you and your beautiful piggy(s) are getting on :) X

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.