Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Guinea pig scare with toilet paper roll

Force pigs

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I have been reading this forum alot, but this is my first post. This morning I was cleaning the cage out, and had set my 3 boys into a cardboard box with hay while I changed fleece. I was going back and forth to rooms and - not thinking anything about it, tossed an empty toilet paper roll in the box with them. My thinking was that if they didn't chew on the hay they chould chew that alot easier than the cardboard box they were in.

I know I have read that people stuff toilet paper rolls with hay and put them in their cages. I've personally never done that and don't know if people put them in the cages unstuffed...

I heard alot of squeaking going on which was unusual in that small box. I was only not looking for maybe a minute or two while I was cleaning. My biggest boy had stuffed his head INSIDE the toilet paper roll. He was halfway through it. It was so tight on him his body looked as if it had doubled it's size to make up for it.

I ripped the end and pulled it off quickly. Thankfully he is fine, but it scared the heck outta me.

I have no idea if anyone has had this happen before but it was enough to make me post this thread just to warn people that it could possibly happen. If I had ignored the squeaks I am sure he would have died. It was actually my other two pigs squeaking.

Very scary. Not sure WHY he was trying to go IN it, but if there was hay inside it and not all around them, I'm sure the others would have tried to go in it as well.

If it helps others, my guinea pigs are young adults and this happened to the biggest one. I would say he is almost fully grown.

Well, I definately won't be doing that again.

NJPKL

Cavy Slave
Awwww, the best way to avoid that ever happening again is to slice the tube open so that is a U shape and that way no stuck piggy risks! Don't worry, this does happen which is why we post about opening up the tubes before putting them in with mischievous piggies. Now you know, live and learn, right? :crazy:

Force pigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I had not seen the post about opening up the tubes. Don't think I'll ever put one back in again though. haha!

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
I hadn't seen the post about opening them either. I just stuff them with hay and toss them in... haven't had a problem yet but will be sure to be more careful in the future. I don't think our biggest could fit her head in at all though (she's a big girl)... and the baby could probably go all the way through it no problem. Aja would be the one I had to worry about LOL

aubrey

Cavy Slave
Awwww, the best way to avoid that ever happening again is to slice the tube open so that is a U shape and that way no stuck piggy risks! Don't worry, this does happen which is why we post about opening up the tubes before putting them in with mischievous piggies. Now you know, live and learn, right? :crazy:

Thanks for that info! I will have to be sure to make a slit in the tube, because toilet paper rolls are a favorite toy around here:D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.