Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Play pen as a cage?

taylorcha4

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
This seems to be a very controversial topic for many piggy parents out there. Please be aware that i am a beginner at this and i am trying my best to provide for the well being of my piggy babies.

Long story short, my boyfriend and i brought home two baby guinea pigs. The owner asked us to pick them up early because her cage wasnt big enough for them so we ended up bringing them home. My boyfriend and i have been planning to build a 2x3 or a 2x4 C&C cage before their arrival but the previous owners were in a rush so our plans changed. We went to the store and couldn't find storage cube grids anywhere.
Due to their early arrival, we had to work with whatever resources we had. Our lame SUPER WAL MART didnt carry them nor did our local Target. We ended up bringing home a playpen for small animals for temporary but after setting up the playpen, our minds changed. We liked the playpen idea. Because they are just babies one playpen was alright. The grids are 13.5L x 9H. Normal C&C grids are 14x14. Is 9 inches high enough? Regardless i dont think its possible for them to climb out. The grids are all verticle. And dont worry, i picked up another playpen to connect it to make it bigger for those worried about the pen being too small once they get bigger. Should be as big as a 2x4 once connected. My boyfriend and i will be picking up the coroplast this week to build their base. They've been home for a good week now.

Here is a picture of what my cage looks like as of right now, coroplast base will be added soon:
cupcake bubble 2.jpg

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
That looks great! At least in my opinion, I think you did great for a short term home! I love the fleece, really adorable!

MummyOf5Piggies

Cavy Slave
I think it would be fine, as long as they have enough space and its sturdy so they can't knock it over when they squeal and jump for joy when they get veggies!(my girls do this) And if You start not liking the playpen idea you can order grids from amazon or ebay.:)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Short term it'll be awesome!

But just to let you know that all the adult piggies here (both mine and the ones in the rescue) reach the top of the 14 inch girds when they stretch up. So 9 inches adults could easily jump out if wanted/go hyper/get excited for veggies and want to come get them from you because you're taking too long getting the veggies to them!
But other then that I love the play pen...I could never be stuffed buying one. :p

acydrose

Cavy Slave
Love the play pen idea, maybe you can add more playpen grids to the top for height and in the bottom for stability if you're sticking to them instead of cubes?. I've seen pictures of cages made with playpen grids and they're awesome plus they add color :D

taylorcha4

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the tips everyone! Will be putting all of that into consideration.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
ahh! i just bought that exact playpen online hoping to build a bigger cage for my piggies! I haven't received it yet, but glad to see someone else using it and its working well :D

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
That is great for a short term cage,
It is great that you are trying so hard to get your pigs a bigger cage. You could actually use those play pen grids as regular grids, in my opinion, I think they look way better then the normal grids.

adelore

Cavy Slave
I just finished building a top to my already C & C cage with the playpen, only to find out that it's not tall enough if I were to put the girls igloos on top. I guess I could add another playpen and make a top, but I also see that it's not as sturdy as the C & C grids that I have on the bottom. For now it's safe, (with no added toys they can stand on) it's pretty, but I think I'll add grids instead.

KatrinaJoggers.

Cavy Slave
Very creative, (In mind, when the get older and bigger, mine jump over the playpen) Great idea though for a temporary cage, I wouldn't of thought of it, even though I have two of those playpens! Haha! :)

bibliocavy

Cavy Slave
Looks good to me. Oliver has a playpen as a cage as well. The spoiled little guy has over ten square feet! He has a large small animal play pen which I converted into a permanent enclosure. I have a shower curtain on the bottom and going up the sides. The sides are really tall, a few feet at least. He loves it! P1100021.jpg

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Where did you get your pigloo biblio?

bibliocavy

Cavy Slave
His pigloo came with him from his previous home. I would imagine they got it from a pet store (Yuck, I know!) around here. I know Petsmart has them.

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Petsmart and petco have a different kind. I have never seen yours before. Not all pet stores are yuck. Not even big name brand ones. At least if you just go in for stuff like pigloos.

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
With no access to affordable grids my girls have a playpen cage. It is 25,5cm high and my girls do put their feet on it, but have never attempted to climb over. I do make sure they do not have pigloos or whatever they can jump on and then use that to jump over the playpen.

IMG_20121024_134607.jpg

taylorcha4

Cavy Slave
Thanks Hun, it hit me that I would eventually have to make the grids bigger. These two are growing so fast, Cupcake was able to pop her head on top already. She hasn't attempted to climb just yet but she has done it quite a few times to scope things out. Who knows they could be planning their master escape.

taylorcha4

Cavy Slave
Nice! Thanks for letting me know about how it worked for you. I try not to put my igloo too close to a corner. These guy a secretly sneaky.

Peach and Zelda

Cavy Slave
We have a Midwest guinea habitat connected to a play pen extension(they go back and forth between cage and playpen). We let them have the run of the playpen most of the day and put them in the cage at night when we are asleep or if we aren't home for a long day (both working overtime, etc). Our playpen is about 18" tall; it's taller than the actual cage! They love it though because they have about 18 is sq feet of space most of the day. We just put a tarp under the fleece and blankets and since they mostly use the litter tray we don't have to worry about poop flipping everywhere. I think it looks good, just consider something taller as they get bigger.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
perhaps you could build a cover for them, for when you're asleep or not around for awhile to keep an eye on them? :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.