Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage size?

cavy-carer

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I am not sure whether or not this has been done or not but I was wondering what size is your cage and how many piggies are kept in it?

If you take a look at the homepage https://www.guineapigcages.com It describes what cage size you should have. Most of us do follow those "rules". My cage is L shaped, but if it were in a straight line it would be 28" by 56" and 2 pigs live in it.

Ditto what Piglet said. I have 4 pigs who live in a 4-level 4x2 - with all the mini levels, and if it were laid out as a single-storey cage, it would be something like 30 square feet of space.

But did you know that upper levels really don't count towards overall square footage. There is a little section on the main cavy cages site that says "Upper levels should not be counted in providing the minimum square footage. In fact, ramps used to provide access to the upper deck usually take away from downstairs exercise space and count against square footage."

With members who have multiple levels of the same size like your cage CCC, I don't find much of a problem with that. But for those members who want to put 3 pigs in a 2x3 with a 1x1 or 1x2 loft, that isn't big enough.

I now have a three story C&C with 4 sows, the main level is 3x4, the 2nd story is a 1x4 loft and the third story is a 1x2 loft. The 2nd story is a hay loft (1x2) and lounging area (1x2) and the 3rd story loft is the pellet station. I figure if the girls want pellets badly enough, they can get plenty of exercise to get to them. The main level is running and play space and has their litterbox, a hammock, a tunnel and three hidey houses.

I also have a 2x3 with one boar residing in it. And I have the pet playpen set up in my living room temporarily housing my newest addition, Boo. She will be out of quarantine in two weeks and will be intro'd to the other sows and live with them in the big cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.