Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps Ramps outside the cage . . . .

Rach84

Cavy Slave
So I am totally in love with my new cage but am wondering how easy it is to add a ramp that goes outside the cage so as not to use up any floor space?

Please can peopel share their ideas of what has ~ an hasnt worked :) pictures would also be brilliant!! :)

Also, do people still have sides on their correx up in the loft? Ive already cut a door to add the ramp Ive got now an if I work out how to make a safe ramp on the outside Ill be cutting it up again. I was thinking about having it without sides up there but then I think they would nibble the connectors!? Cheeky Pigs :love:

bguardguy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
They could nibble the connectors, and if you are not careful they could try to go through the grids. Not only could they escape and fall from higher up, but it also makes it easier for them to attempt it and potentially get stuck. This is just my opinion, but I tend to be a worry wort as well. Lol. As for the outside ramps, I do not think it is SUPER difficult, but will require some planning and work on your part, along with some tools that may not be found in every house hold. I think the hardest thing to do really, is cut the grids where the entrance and exit will be and sanding down where you cut in order to make it safe for them. I have heard of a few people not sanding at all, and getting the craft thing from Michaels or another craft store, ( I believe they are picture frame siding kinda, but hard plastic. They sell them in the guinea pig cage store as well) and just placing them over the grids to provide softer edges. Other than that, its just some bent grids and some zipties. Oh and a little bit of coro.

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Its sounding like a dad job to me!! Hehe xx might get him to get his thinking cap on too! lol

bguardguy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Yep! Sounds good!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've had an outside ramp -- originally it was made of black drainage pipe, but that was a nightmare to clean on the inside. And no matter if I lined it with fleece, the pee and poop still got down in the corrugations of the plastic. So I switched to PVC, and that worked better.

BUT.... there are a few things you should consider.

One, the tunnel itself has to be easy to remove so you can clean it. I used elbow joints on the ends to mount it to the cage, and mounted them so they'd pull back slightly and let me put the ends of the tunnel in and out.

Two, if you use PVC, you'll have to line it with something that will give them some traction. Gritty tape on the bottom won't work, because they'll just eat it. Ask me how I know this...

Three, if you use PVC, get the largest diameter you can get -- mine outgrew what I had. You can cut a long hole in the top which gives them a little more squeeze room, and also allows you to unstick the pigs if they come in from opposite directions and get stuck in the middle.

Four, I didn't file the edges of the cage bars where I cut them. I got plexiglass, cut a semi-circle in one edge of each piece so I could put them together to hold the PVC elbow in place, and sandwiched the cut bars between the plexiglass.

Five, they'll camp out at the bottom of the tunnel and pee and poop like mad there. You've been warned.

Amy262

Cavy Slave
Lol It's bpatter's reason #5 that made me decide to keep my ramp inside the cage. Our piggies sit at the bottom of the ramp and do most of their business there. So, I attached a litter pan at the bottom of the ramp and it has worked like a charm. I'd like to think my pigs are litter trained, but it is actually just them peeing and pooping in the same spot they always did, with a strategically placed litter pan. Hehe!!

G_Piggler

Cavy Slave
DO it! Outside ramps are ideal. Have a look in the photos section under Ramps. There are quite a few photos that explain the process. If you go with the bent grids, just make sure there's a solid floor, and cover the open squares with fleece or coro or something so they feel safe and are safe.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.