Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Joined but separated boy/girl cage

mama_

Cavy Slave
My boys are in a 2x4 with a 2x1 loft on a storage base. I might get 2 girls so I need to have a separate level for them. I can't make a completely separate cage due to space constraints but I can build UP. I've been warned that if my boys see (and maybe even if they smell) the girls, they may start fighting for them. How likely is this to happen? And if I want to avoid sight of the girls, do I put them on a whole separate level ABOVE the boys or can part of their cages be next to each other as long as there's a solid piece between to obscure sight of the girlies?

Also, I don't really like the idea of having my cage so tall. Would it be horrible to remove the storage base and put the boys at floor level? Or would that just be too scary for them?

If anyone has any pictures of how they keep their boys/girls separated, please share!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Your boys should be fine on ground level..
I'd just do a stacked cage with the boys on the bottom and the girls on the top (or girls bottom, boys top)..

I never took a good picture of the cage, as I was taking pictures of the boys..but while we had another pair of girls we used a stacked 2x4....
Joined but separated boy/girl cage
You can see how the other cage is just above it...the second cage's bottom was at 2 and a bit girds high..(we missed out a cable tie on the right corner of the bottom of the second level but fixed it after the photo.)

mama_

Cavy Slave
So having completely different levels between the sexes is a good idea, I assume. The problem with that is, in order to have a separate level for the girls, I'd have to take the boys' loft down. This would minimize their space to a 2x4 instead of that plus their 2x1 loft. Then again, as far as floor space goes, I have room for a 2x5 so I could just put the loft NEXT to their 2x4 and have it as a separated kitchen. Hmmm...so many possibilities.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Stacking the cages shouldn't be a problem. Having them next to each other might cause issues, though.

Lofts do not add overall square footage to a cage, so taking down the loft won't make a difference in their running space. A 2x4 still leaves plenty of space for a pair, so I don't think it is necessary to go out to a 2x5 unless you really want to. And keep in mind that stacking any cage larger than a 2x4 might cause it to sag in the middle.

Hope this helps!

Kristine

Cavy Slave
No reason to not have a stacked cage as long as they tolerate it ok. They can also continue to have the loft too if you are creative. Here was our solution, boys below and gilrs up top.
Joined but separated boy/girl cage

mama_

Cavy Slave
No reason to not have a stacked cage as long as they tolerate it ok. They can also continue to have the loft too if you are creative. Here was our solution, boys below and gilrs up top.
View attachment 42285
Why didn't I think of a loft at a half-grid height? I Love your cage...I think I may copy it. I like that you have such a big space between the two levels. Makes it seem less cramped.

Kristine

Cavy Slave
Yeah, the big space between is really the key for the stacked cages to really work for us. I absolutely needed something that was easy to lean in and clean and the openness of this makes it easier to interact with the piggies too.

mama_

Cavy Slave
View attachment 42285

I made my rescue piggies a condo last night!

Hey fellow piggie-parents. I've decided this type of design is how I want to expand my cage. How do you support the upper level? Kristine it looks like you use a cube on each back corner in between the levels for stability...Peewee I can't really see yours well enough to see what you use for support. Suggestions?

Kristine

Cavy Slave
Hey fellow piggie-parents. I've decided this type of design is how I want to expand my cage. How do you support the upper level? Kristine it looks like you use a cube on each back corner in between the levels for stability...Peewee I can't really see yours well enough to see what you use for support. Suggestions?
I have closet supports on each end and then a thick welding rod between those zip tied next to the closet supports, it gives a nice sturdy base to the upper level and minimizes any sag. Without a support it sags.

I'll take a picture tomorrow of the underside of that upper level to give you a better idea of how it's put together.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.