Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning How to clean the cage when the guineas are not yet tame?

Nika Lee

Cavy Slave
Hello! I am getting some guinea pigs this weekend; I have not had any since I was 10 so I am very excited :) I have been doing tons of research but I realized that I am not sure what to do about the fact that I will need to clean the guinea pigs cage and they won't be tamed right away. What is the best route for this? Will they just need to deal with being picked up and taken out so I can clean their cage? I really don't want to make them nervous and create neurotic pigs but of course I do not want to wait the month or two it could take to tame them before I start messing around in their cage. Any tips or advice would be great, thank you!

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Will they just need to deal with being picked up and taken out so I can clean their cage?

In short answer, yes.

Remember that they are prey animals, so they most likely will never fully be "tame". Most don't like being picked up and think of you as trying to eat them. Sometimes they will tolerate it by staying still but most of the time, you will need to either have something for them to jump into and pick them up in that or have them gently cornered in their cage and lift them out. I try to make it as swift and non-neurotic causing as possible, but give them cuddles right after with veggies so they associate the two.

Btw, welcome :)

Nika Lee

Cavy Slave
Thank you! That is really helpful :)

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
You're very welcome. All piggies have different personalities, so that's why I say "most". Just keep that in mind, some may never like you picking them up and may squeal and be diva's about it, others may come right up to you for it. It really depends on the pig, but in general they generally do not enjoy being hunted by the house eagle.

aNervousFlower

Cavy Slave
Another thing that can work, I have a couple little carriers that I use for things like vet visits, and If I pull out their hidey houses and put the carriers in, they tend to just run on in and I can pull them out as easy as anything
(broken link removed)

adelore

Cavy Slave
I leave my girls in the cage when I clean it, no matter what cage I have them in. At home they have a C & C cage, on the Semi it' a large Rabbit/Guiena pig cage. Either way I like to keep them in the cage while cleaning it. This way they get use to me and my hands, the little dust pan and broom I clean with. Now the girls love it when I clean their cage, they pop corn, and play games with me while I'm cleaning. They follow my hand, dust pan and broom around. They are not afraid at all. Sure at first they were, like most piggies, they run for the fartherest cornor or hide place. But then the start to realize I'm not there to chase them, next thing you know, they are following my hand, playing games with me. I also like to change their cage toys every day. This also helps them to get use to me. I also feed them, hand feed them treats daily. Now they come to the sides of the cage and whenever I put my hand in the cage, they are right there beside it.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You can sweep fleece while they're in the cage.
But for complete bedding change you can either sho them into a box or a crate and put them in their floor pin.

Picking them up daily will help them become tame.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.