Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Encouraging using a loft

KmKrazy9

Cavy Slave
I added a loft a while ago. After a week or two, my baby cavy would run up the ramp to get treats. The older one wouldnt go up there but would only climb down after she was done eating.
For some reason, neither of them will go up anymore, I have to pick them up each time. I dont know why Jasper stopped climbing up, but he doesnt do it anymore. I really wanted them to be able to use the extra space. Any ideas on getting them to use it regularly without my help?

cutemomome

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Mine goes up the ramp happily because...... they know the food is there!!!
I usually put the veggies upstairs, to encourage them to excercise, and the pellets downstairs by the waterbottle, away from their beds, to encourage excercise.
momo

carrotflavour

Cavy Slave
My piggies go through phases where ginge will ONLY sleep in the loft and mojo sometimes sleeps there and other times they wont go near it for days.

Check that the ramp is not too steep and easy to get up. Make it really inviting. make a tent or some shelter and underneath the tent put LOTS of hay for them to sleep in :)

pennick

Cavy Slave
My piggies really made a treat slave out of me. Every morning when I wake up after I give them veggies they run up to the 3rd floor to see what is their after breakfast treat. The same after dinner. They know that their 3rd floor loft is the treat loft and they run up and down all day to see if there are any goodies hiding up there. I agree with carrotflavor, make sure your ramp is not too steep.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.