Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

new to piggies and need some help

Kim Hughes

Cavy Slave
i recently got 2 piggies both males one is smaller and much more adventurous the other is normal sized but very shy skittish and not warming up to me very fast. the small one (fuzzy) doesn't run when i reach into the cage hes not quite ready to just walk up to me but he doesn't run (morris) the big one however all ways runs to his house when i get my hand in the cage and when i hold him he runs behind my neck while fuzzy just sits on my chest. ive tried giving them treats when i hold them to associate me with good things but idk what else to do or if im doing it wrong any basic advice would be much appreciated

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
how long have you had them? piggies can take a while to warm up to you. some warm up faster than others. remember that they are very easily frightened; it's just their nature. just be patient and keep offering them veggies. they will come around!

Kim Hughes

Cavy Slave
well we had them for a week then they got ringworm and ear mites so we took them to the vet and they were there for 3 weeks we just got them back 3 days ago i just started taking them out of the cage now cuz i heard they need to b left in the cage for 3 days when they first come home im also curious about wat bedding to use toys stuff to chew on treats and a good source of vitamins for them

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
I would just be patient with them, then. They didn't get a chance to get used to you and your home before they were taken somewhere else new and scary! It will get better, promise.

Many of us on this forum (including myself) use towels and fleece as opposed to store-bought bedding. A. It's cheaper. B. It's not dusty. C. You can pick cute patterns! Just line the bottom of the cage with a couple towels and then put some cute fleece on top and tuck it under. What kind of cage do you have? Since you have two boys you are going to want a good amount of space for them, especially when they start to go through puberty. I have two boys and they argue with each other relatively often, but they have enough space to run away if they wish as well as two different houses and two sets of food bowls/water bottles.

As far as treats go, you don't need to buy anything that you see in your generic pet store. Yogurt drops or anything like that. Most treats have lots of sugar and sugar is not good for piggies. Feed them lots of timothy hay and rich, green veggies like romaine lettuce, cilantro and green pepper (great source of vitamin C). Fruits like apples, grapes, oranges can be given about once a week as a special treat, just make sure to remove the seeds!

My piggies like wooden chew toys/grass toys best. Those you can find at places like Petco and Petsmart.

Best of luck and don't hesitate to utilize this forum. There are so many people with so much knowledge!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.